Contra is an Independent-first community and commission-free hiring platform empowering the future of work. We match Independents with flexible opportunities, and Clients with the perfect Independent for any project — from content creation to coding. We strongly believe that independence isn’t just a gig, it’s a way of life.
Welcome to Contra! We’re an empathetic, kind, and humble team looking for Software Engineers to join us in building the Future of Work and the best community for independents. This is a full-stack role, meaning you’ll have the opportunity to contribute across our web applications and backend services, while focusing on a specific part of the stack that plays to your strengths and preferences, like Frontend or Backend.
We build with cutting-edge technology, and have even open sourced some of our internal inventions, like GraphQL Helix and Yarr that power our codebases. Our team loves to innovate to benefit everyone, and deliver a top-notch Developer Experience for our internal team: fast pipelines, great API tooling, and the like. If this environment resonates with your engineering values, we’d love to talk to you!
How you’ll add value at Contra
- Contribute to our rapidly growing React and NodeJS codebases — everything from our web application, to our backend GraphQL API, to our internal services that power payments.
- Contribute well-tested, end-to-end TypeScript code. We use Jest, Cypress, and some other tooling of our own design to power our tests.
- Craft readable, performant, and scaleable SQL queries and database schemas to solve data modeling problems.
- Help improve our internal design system, codebase architecture, application performance, and Developer Experience.
- Participate in all parts of the product development process, like design critiques, code reviews, and cross-functional planning with your team.
You’ll be successful here if you
- Mission driven. Our mission truly resonates with you and you would like to be a part of what we are building together at Contra!
- A dedicated team player. You thrive in a collaborative, remote-only environment and you are comfortable with 8am-12 pm PST core hours!
- Passionate about learning. Share a genuine curiosity for learning, alway eager to pick up new skills. We don’t expect everyone to know everything but you learn quickly!
- Goal oriented. Understand what you need to do in order to achieve your goals without needing all of the bells and whistles.
- Committed to trying. Have the resilience and willingness to try and try again even if you fail after a few attempts!
- Ambitious attitude. You bring a strong work ethic and contagious energy to your team as we work towards our North Star.
- Path Paver. Joining a startup you enjoy taking ownership, building out processes and documentation that might not exist to share with your team members.
- Backend: NodeJS, GraphQL, GraphQL Helix, Redis, PostgreSQL
- DevOps: ArgoCD, Docker, GitHub, Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes
- Frontend: React, Suspense, Relay, Stitches, Three.js, react-three-fiber, GLSL shaders
You will love Contra for our
- 🌎 Remote-only culture that is here to stay
- 🍎 100% health coverage for US full-time employees, and health reimbursements for all international contractors
- 💰 401k matching for US full-time employees
- 💸 $4,000/year laptop reimbursement + additional equipment, co-working, education, meetup and charity budgets
- 💛 No-meeting Wednesdays
- 🥬 Half days every third Friday of the month to enjoy a long weekend, reduce screen fatigue, and decompress
- 👋 Generous time off — 3 week-long company-wide shutdowns per year (Spring, Fall, Winter) so we can all collectively relax together, in addition to paid time off and flex days to look after your wellbeing.
- 👶 Flexible parental leave
- 🌴 Annual team wide off-site (our most recent was Nov 2021 in Tulum, Mexico)
- 💁 A custom slack emoji, just for you!
Our interview process
- Intro call (15-30 minutes)
- Complete a Technical assessment (2 hours maximum)
- Technical interview (30-45 minutes)
- Non-technical (culture) interview (30-45 minutes)
- Strengths-based technical interview (30-45 minutes)
- High-level technical interview with CTO (30-45 minutes)
Salary + Equity Range
- $130k – $160k USD
- Equity Value Range: $72k – $180k USD
🚀 Contra is looking for self-motivated, open-minded, and eager folks to join our growing team.
We’ve put together a pretty special global team — we’re not limited by location, so everyone on our team has unique backgrounds and experiences that have shaped our company culture for the better. Everyone who joins Contra adds another special dimension to that culture, so we’re looking for folks that have an additive mindset, and want to participate in building both a great product, and a great place to work. While past titles, years of experience, and educational opportunities have taught us all valuable lessons, they’re not used as hiring criteria. If you’re motivated by our mission and owning impactful projects, then Contra is the place for you.
If you’ve made it this far, we want to talk to you! Even if you do not think that you meet all of the requirements in the job posting, we really encourage you to take the leap and apply anyway. Surprise yourself! The best is yet to come ✨
Contra is committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing its team members with a work environment free from discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Contra are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, regardless of race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, pregnancy, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Learn more about Contra