The Cloud team is looking for a senior frontend engineer who knows how to build intuitive user experiences to make the power of Universal Code Search accessible to everyone on sourcegraph.com. You will have a lot of ownership to solve tough technical and UX problems that will drive massive adoption of our product by developers all around the world.
- You have practice at creating high quality software balanced with a pragmatic understanding of how to make appropriate tradeoffs (e.g. cut scope) to ship quickly and iterate when necessary.
- You communicate clearly and empathetically, especially in writing and documentation.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Work closely with a dedicated designer and PM to implement high-quality UIs using React, SCSS and TypeScript.
- Actively participate in the planning of the features we’re going to build, e.g. by writing and reviewing RFCs.
- Build UIs you will love to use yourself as a developer.
- Ensure UI/UX consistency in our app.
- Identify potential for abstraction and build components that can be reused, even by other teams.
- Improve the code patterns in our frontend.
- Hold up accessibility standards.
- Experience in writing SPAs using React or similar component-based frontend frameworks.
- Familiarity with TypeScript or a different typed programming language.
- Skilled at writing clean, reusable CSS and semantic HTML to implement visual designs.
- Experience in using backend APIs from the frontend.
- Skilled at building and testing (e.g. unit testing, automated end-to-end testing) UIs.
- Extensive experience with TypeScript.
- Extensive experience with GraphQL.
- Experience building browser extensions (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Safari).
- Large and/or numerous contributions to open source projects.
- Published blog posts and/or tech talks about your work.
- Experience working on small high-performing product teams, preferably tech startups.
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team.
- Developer platform/tool industry experience.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
- You apply here.
- The Hiring Manager reviews all the information you provided on your application to determine if you meet our qualifications for this role (if there is another open role we think you would be better qualified for, we will let you know).
- A Recruiter sets up a 30 minute call to learn more about what you are looking for, tell you about Sourcegraph, and answer any questions that you have.
- We set up a 45 minutes interview with the Hiring Manager, who will tell you more about the available role in the team. They will ask you about your past work experience, accomplishments and assess your suitability for the role and alignment with Sourcegraph’s values.
- You complete a 3 hour coding exercise that we designed to test your technical ability and the responsibilities of the role as listed above.
- Note: while we do not disqualify candidates who do not have React and TypeScript experience from taking the exercise, you will be required to use these for the exercise.
- An Engineer and a Designer will review and grade your submission.
- We schedule a 1 hour follow-up call to discuss your submission and ask any questions we might have to clarify our understanding of your technical capability and suitability for the role.
- We schedule the following additional interviews, in no particular order, across multiple days:
- 1 hour Technical experience: We ask you about your past work and accomplishments in depth, how you worked with others, decisions you made, and what you’d do differently today.
- 1 hour Team collaboration: We ask you about how you work and communicate in a team setting, how you handle tricky situations, decisions you made, and what you’d do differently today.
- 30 minutes VP Engineering
- 30 minutes CTO
- We check your references.
- We make you a job offer.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.