We’re building the world’s most ubiquitous programming environment. We focus on inspiring creativity and generating value for creators through community, and we design simple yet scalable infrastructure primitives for the next generation of creators. We want to blur the line between learning and making– a place where you can hang out, tinker with ideas, learn new concepts, and launch a business all in the same day.
About the role
This is an opportunity to change the way people code together and have a real impact on the future of programming at scale. You will be responsible for building the next generation of collaborative coding tools. This role presents interesting challenges from distributed systems to developer experience design: for example, reimagining how people work on projects asynchronously or building novel user interfaces for visualizing changes in code over time. Replit combines the authoring and runtime environment together because we want to bring collaboration closer to where the work happens.
We want to build a “multiverse of code” where you can not only jump between versions of raw file contents but the entire state of the running system.
If you’re interested in the space, but feel like you fit more into a research role than an engineering one, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.If you are interested in the future of software more broadly or aren’t specialized in this space, please look into some of our other roles like Workspace Engineer, which often work closely with Collaborative Coding Engineers.
Examples of what you could do
- Design and implement a new approach to version control that preserves user-intent by leveraging the vertically integrated nature of Replit.
- Build a new type of code editor and development environment that can support multiple people working on the same code-base together.
- Design how to include runtime data in project history.
- Prototype a new generation of programming languages that have collaboration as a first class consideration.
- Integrate with legacy systems like git to enable teams to easily migrate to the new systems and paradigms you build.
- Design and implement a protocol for our collaborative experience.
- Research and develop new paradigms for synchronous and asynchronous collaboration.
- Work on a version control system built on top of the collaboration infrastructure.
- Enable teams at Replit to build features like code threads.
- Ship features and build infrastructure using: Go, Rust, and/or TypeScript.
- Excited about many different areas of Computer Science and willing to learn new things.
- Passionate about improving the way people code together.
- Can balance pragmatism with ambition. We ship a lot, but we also allow ourselves to dream and innovate.
- Experienced or interested in collaborative technologies such as Operational Transforms, CRDT, or other multiplayer algorithms.
- Experience working with IDEs or other developer tools.
- Experience working with large distributed systems.
Full-Time Employee Benefits Include:
🌎 Remote-First and Autonomous Working Environment
💰 Competitive Salary & Equity
🖥 Home Office Set-Up Stipend
⚕️ Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
Short Term and Long Term Disability
🧘♂️ Monthly Wellness Stipend
🍴 Monthly Lunch/Grocery Stipend
🚼 Parental and Baby Bonding Leave
🏝 Flexible PTO (2 Weeks Minimum Required) + Holidays
📈 401k Matching
Want to Learn More?
- Replit Product
- Interviewing + Culture
To achieve our mission of making programming more accessible around the world, we need our team to be representative of the world. We welcome your unique perspective and experiences in shaping this product. We encourage people from all kinds of backgrounds to apply, including and especially candidates from underrepresented and non-traditional backgrounds.