Posit (formerly RStudio) creates software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core offering is an open-source data science toolchain used by millions worldwide, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means. We’re a Certified B Corporation®, which means we’ve written our open-source mission into our corporate charter. Our commercial products support this work, which helps data scientists manage their work and share the results with others.
About the Open Source group
The Open Source group aims to provide a seamless end-to-end data science experience and to help data scientists learn the software engineering skills they need. We develop and maintain open source packages for data science and scientific communication, including R packages like the tidyverse, tidymodels, Shiny for R and Python, and Quarto. The goals of the Open Source group are not only to provide a seamless end-to-end experience but also to help users learn and flourish. This involves developing and disseminating documentation and fostering a welcoming community. We value kindness, humility, openness, and resourcefulness in our work and interactions with the community and each other.
About the role
The Guild AI development team is a small group delivering a powerful solution to help machine learning engineers get the most from their models. At its core Guild AI is an experiment tracking system that builds “runs” seamlessly during the model development process. The system encapsulates everything engineers need to understand, optimize and recreate their work. Guild includes the ability to tune hyperparamers, train and backup models remotely, compare and analyze runs and automate pipelines.
Guild AI is fully open-source and is built to be highly configurable. Guild AI seeks to work with machine learning engineers existing workflows without needing custom code to enable it.
Our developers have high autonomy. They are highly product focussed and are responsible for the full development lifecycle, including triaging GitHub issues, implementing changes, writing documentation, testing code, and interacting with the broader community. Posit is a remote-first organization, and Open Source has engineers in 10 countries spanning 10 time zones.
Things you’ll own
- Reviewing, testing, and deploying code regularly.
- Helping support the existing product and user base.
- Building important features starting from idea inception through to deployment.
Things you’ll help with
- Building major new features of Guild AI and expanding its integrations within and beyond the Posit open source ecosystem.
- Reviewing pull requests submitted by the community.
- Fixing bugs and adding new features, driven by GitHub issues.
- Engaging with the community to understand how Guild AI is being used and how it could be improved.
- Contributing to the roadmap for Guild AI as it evolves and gains increasing adoption.
Things you’ll teach the team
- What makes it hard to contribute to the Guild AI codebase.
- New ways to help a small team have a positive impact on open source data engineering software in both the R and Python ecosystems.
Things you’ll learn
- Working on open source in public.
- Fixing bugs and adding new features, driven by GitHub issues.
- Strategies for success as a remote developer.
- Responsibly contributing to a tool with a diverse user base.
- Effectively navigating, understanding, and modifying a fairly complex codebase that’s been built in response to user needs over several years.
- Have developed multiple Python applications of at least moderate complexity.
- Are comfortable with *nix command line tools.
- Are an experienced user of git and GitHub.
- Have a significant interest in data science, machine learning and it’s applications.
- The ability to collaborate effectively as well as work independently when necessary.
What to expect
Within 1 month, you will…
- Engage with the members of the Guild AI team as well as a number of members from other adjacent open source teams (multiverse, vetiver, tidymodels, etc.)
- Submit several PRs to the Guild AI codebase.
Within 3 months, you will…
- Have an understanding of how Guild AI works from a user perspective and a high-level understanding of all of the major components of the system.
- Be in contact with a few members of the Guild AI community in the pursuit of understanding a feature or potential bug.
- Make progress as the principal developer for a new feature.
Within 6 months, you will…
- Independently triage and resolve a number of incoming Guild AI issues and requests.
- Be submitting a healthy flow of PRs as well as helping give feedback on others’ work.
- Complete and support the production rollout of a release featuring your work.
Within 12 months, you will…
- Have helped prioritize, design, and been the lead developer on a new impactful feature that has been deployed to production and is in active use.
- Make contributions to the roadmap for future Guild AI features and understand how they are intended to improve the user experience.
- Have contributed to new content assisting users in understanding and getting started using Guild AI in their work.
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at Posit.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- Posit is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means our open-source mission is codified into our charter. As a result, our corporate decisions balance the community’s interests, customers, employees, and shareholders. Hear more about why we think this matters here.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- Posit’s gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- Our 401k matches up to 50% of the maximum employee contribution after six months.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Boston office.
- We offer a $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental if you prefer to work away from home.
- Our Lifestyle Savings Account offers an initial deposit of $1800 and then an additional $125/month to cover the costs of professional development, wellness, financial health, charitable giving, and remote work support.
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
Are you excited about this role but not sure if your experience aligns with every qualification in the job description? That’s okay. We know multiple perspectives are essential for a thriving organization and we’d still love to hear from you!
Posit is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.