Position: Software Engineer II
Desired Location: NYC or Remote (EST/CST)
YCharts enables its customers to make smarter investment decisions. Our cloud-based financial data and investment research platform provides investment advisors, wealth managers, and institutional and retail investors with comprehensive data, powerful visualization tools and advanced analytics. YCharts has transitioned from a fintech startup to a thriving growth company (Inc. 5000 Fastest Growing Company). YCharts proudly services industry-leading names such as WealthManagement.com, Seeking Alpha, TD Ameritrade, Fidelity, Charles Schwab, The Wall Street Journal, Morgan Stanley and Wells Fargo.
Learn more about us and what makes us tick on our Career page.
As a Software Engineer II at YCharts, you will be responsible for working on a team with other engineers to contribute in a meaningful way. This includes the ability to design and ticket small projects with no input from more experienced engineers, write efficient and well-designed/tested code, and participate in reviewing the code of others. You will also understand the context of your work and how it fits into the larger mission of the application. You will be working across the stack, but primarily responsible for application front-ends and special projects beyond the scope of our “core” product.
As an engineering organization, we put a lot of focus on collaboration, building new products,
and refactoring our codebase which has allowed us to scale and grow with as little pain as possible. We focus on the quality of quantity and as a team member, you will be asked to maintain these engineering core values.
You will be working alongside other high-performing engineers along with our product team, and there is never a shortage of challenging and interesting projects that will keep you busy and keep you constantly learning new things from a technical and domain perspective!
In this role you will…
- Plan, estimate, build and support multidimensional products
- Work with Django and Angular
- Deliver quality project work on-time, with good test coverage
- Work directly with our product team to clarify feature requests and negotiate solutions
- Find opportunities to refactor code or features that no longer scale or can be simplified
- Participate in the hiring process by conducting phone screens
- Take ownership of projects and be responsible for the entire lifecycle of your code: Development, test, production, and subsequent fixes and improvements
- Perform code reviews that follow the standards and practices of YCharts and are recognized as helpful by your team.
- At least 2+ years of relevant industry or academic experience
- Experience designing, building and maintaining application features on the backend and frontend
- Experience participating in multi-month projects from conception to maintenance with multiple team members
- Desire to take ownership and responsibility when a problem or opportunity arises
- Experience working with non-technical teams (product, business, etc) where explaining technical concepts is needed
- Self-organized and able to work independently
- 5x Inc. 5000 “Fastest Growing Companies”
- American Banker’s “#1 Best Fintechs to Work For”
- Inc.’s “Best Places to Work”
- Inc.’s “Top Regionals: Midwest”
- Fintech Global’s “WealthTech 100”
- Crain’s “Best Places to Work in Chicago”
- Deloitte’s “Technology Fast 500”
- InvestmentNews’ “Biggest Fintech Innovations”
- Technology Tools for Today & Inside Information’s “Top Tool Advisors Are Thinking About Adding”
- 2022 Kitces Report’s “Investment Data” market leader, #1 most-adopted in the last year, #2 in market share
- Business Intelligent Group’s 2022 Best Places to Work
- WatersTechnology’s Most Innovative 3rd Party Tech Vendor
PERKS & REC:
- Chicago (River North) & NY (Chelsea) offices with flexible remote options
- 100% Employer-covered medical, dental & vision insurance
- 401k match
- Paid parental leave
- Generous PTO including Vacation Days, Paid Holidays, Sick Days and “Celebration Days”
- DEI commitment
- Continued education via “Starbucks and Study”
- Summer hours— we head out early during the warm months!
- $60/week Grubhub credits for in-office lunches
- Rotating selection of high-quality coffees
- Craft beer, kombucha, and cold brew on tap
- Snacks and drinks to get you through the day
- Opportunity to join team leagues like kickball
- Fun company outings including an annual celebration in Chicago, Whirlyball, community service, baseball games and happy hours!
YCharts provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
At YCharts, we feel strongly that respect and inclusion are essential ingredients for creativity, innovation, and success. While we know there’s more work to be done to advance diversity and inclusion, we’re proud of our success thus far and excited for the journey to come. Want to help us?
Learn more about our culture (video).