At HashiCorp, we have used the Tao of HashiCorp as our guiding principles for product development and operate according to a strong set of company principles for how we interact with each other. We value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users.
Engineering at HashiCorp is largely a remote team. While prior experience working remotely isn’t required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
About the Team
We build Consul, Nomad, Vault, Terraform, Vagrant, and Packer. Alongside that, we deploy enterprise products for each in a variety of different ways: licensed and unlicensed binaries, appliances to public cloud platforms, and hosted SaaS platforms. Our products help organizations of all sizes run any infrastructure for any application.
We are looking for an experienced engineer to join the Vault Cloud team and focus on developing the core subsystems for Vault Cloud. You will help design, prototype, and implement core features while ensuring the scalability and stability of Vault Cloud.
This person will be a part of the Vault Cloud engineering team at HashiCorp, working to provide reliable and easy access to a fantastic and broadly used secrets tool for businesses and individuals handling all sizes and types of infrastructure.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Work on next-generation distributed systems for operations management
- Build and architect systems for managing large-scale global fleets of resources
- Interface directly with internal teams, users and HashiCorp customers
- Own the full lifecycle of development including design, testing, release, and running the service in production
- Program mostly in Golang, learning from and contributing to a team committed to continually improving their skills
- Work on issues and improvements critical to the success of HashiCorp customers and the broader community
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation that supports our critical production services
You may be a good fit for our team if:
- You have 1-5 years of experience in software development
- You have strong language experience using Go
- You are familiar with microservices architectures, and ideally have seen microservices in operation at a global scale, including its active development
- You enjoy working have prior experience working in high performance or distributed systems
- You are excited to collaborate and brainstorm on topics such as performance, security, user interactions in complex systems
- You have a strong understanding of security principles
- You have built or operated a large scale Cloud service
- You have experience or desire to scale new products
In the first month, you will:
- Learn about the various products, tools, and the team
- Meet regularly with your onboarding guide for pairing sessions and begin building the context around the work you will be doing
- Have 1:1s with other team members that you will be working closely with
- Ship out your first set of tickets of particular services within the HCP Vault product, and participate in regular code reviews
In month 2, you will:
- Begin working on your first project, working towards an MVP, seeking feedback and iterating along the way
- Participate in cross-team engineering design discussions, helping to enhance HashiCorp’s cloud offerings
- Continue building your understanding of the product, as well as its operational needs by shadowing other engineers through their on-call rotations
In month 3, you will:
- Have increasing understanding of opportunities available to enhance the product offering, and some of its common challenges
- Have opportunities to contribute and influence the technical product roadmap
- Begin your on-call rotations to support the operations of the work you and your team members have shipped to production
- Work with your manager to develop and craft a professional development plan that supports your career, and builds upon your strengths
- Build your first project proposal and shared understanding of its design, implementation and its operations with your team as well as any related teams
What is our hiring process like?
The below serves as a basic outline; we may choose to add or remove steps based on the information that we gather during the process.
- Introductory Call with someone from our recruiting team.
- First Interview with an Engineering Manager
- Interview Loop with additional team members, with the following panel:
- Technical Code Pairing interview
- Code Review interview
- Communication and Collaboration interview
- Systems and architecture interview
- If applicable, a final conversation with the Engineering Manager for the team you would be joining
We do our best to accommodate your programming language of choice for technical interviews.
Colorado, California, Washington and New York City Applicants: To view base salary ranges for this role in your location and to learn more about which roles are eligible for bonus pay or commissions, please visit our Pay Transparency Calculator below. Individual pay within the range will be determined based on job related-factors such as skills, experience, and education or training. Information on our benefits can be found via the link below. Intern ranges can be found below.
- Pay Transparency Calculator: https://bit.ly/3B7gwql
- Benefits: https://www.hashicorp.com/careers/benefits
- Intern Ranges: https://bit.ly/3H2soha