Truss is tackling tough technical problems for the private sector and government. We use modern development practices to build software, streamline infrastructure, and train others through exposure to our teams. We have earned a reputation with our clients for pragmatism, autonomy, expertise, and trust. We extend these values to our strong relationships with contractors, partners and employees, because we believe this is fundamental to doing great work.
We are seeking empathetic, curious, and quick-learning engineers to join our Application Engineering practice and collaborate with our clients and partners to invent, implement, and deploy new systems and improvements to existing systems. A position with Truss will allow you to use your rich skill-set to build an energetic yet balanced environment with a team of curious, helpful people.
This is a full-time, remote position and reports to the Senior Application Engineer Manager.
The salary for this position is $137,000 – $166,500
In this position you will:
- Plan complex projects and define smaller pieces of collaborative work for your team
- Support team dynamics that empowers technical teams to set and advocate for best practices and standards
- Work cross-functionally on project teams to form and drive technical decisions to completion
- Collaborate closely across practices such as Product and Design to build solutions that keep the end-user in mind
- Actively share your knowledge and experiences with teammates through pairing or demos or talks
- Share experiences and collaborate with other seasoned application engineers to expand the AppEng practice skill set and mentor other engineers through active pairing and project design
- Think holistically about engineering issues, using engineering fundamentals
- Actively write new documentation and continually improve existing documentation
- Learn to set up a technical project/product for adoption on other teams and projects
Here’s what we hope you will bring:
- Thoughtful listener and the ability to express complex ideas clearly and succinctly, and the ability to communicate well in writing
- Adaptive, empathetic, collaborative, and positive mindset
- Interest in new technologies and understanding of best practices
- Desire to mentor and teach others how to maintain software projects
- Ability to think holistically about software delivery and engineering issues
- Prior experience working on one or more production-ready systems
- One web framework such as React, Vue, Angular, Rails, Django, Flask, Express, etc.
- Modern web technologies such as HTML, CSS
- Common API design patterns like REST or GraphQL.
- Common databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL) and data schema design
- Converting design wireframes or mockups into working code
- Agile delivery practices
- Human-centered design research practices
- Automation of testing, deployments, or other repeatable tasks
If you have experience outside of what is reflected here, that’s great! We’ll be pleased to exercise your unique skill set.
Truss was named one of the Inc. 5000 Fastest Growing Companies for 2021. As a fully distributed, values-driven organization we actively pursue new ways to support our staff and foster growth. Currently all Trussels enjoy full benefits, generous PTO, 401k match, a coworking budget, a kindness budget, and company-wide transparency around salaries and career leveling (view the Truss Leveling Guide). We strive to cultivate a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, skillsets and approaches on our teams and if what we are building excites you we encourage you to apply!
Eligibility: You must be eligible to work in the US. Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Truss is a federal contractor and as such must adhere to executive order 14042 for the Covid Vaccination mandate regarding federal contractors. Upon employment, Truss will request proof of vaccination. If a medical or religious accommodation is needed, a discussion can be held with our People Operations department.
** A note from Truss: We know you’re likely experiencing a lot of disruption as our nation (and our world) responds to COVID-19 and other events – we’re experiencing it, too. During video interviews, you’ll likely see more of our human side. Family members, partners, kids and pets are home with some of us! We promise to be present and engaged, but we may be a little…harried. It’s OK if you are, too – we understand that everyone is experiencing extra stress right now. If you have any questions along the way, please let us know, and stay healthy and safe. **