At HashiCorp, we’re building a generation-defining infrastructure software company, powered by our core principles and a growing team of talented, committed professionals working together to help organizations seamlessly transition to and operate in the cloud. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in San Francisco, 85 percent of our employees work remotely, strategically distributed around the globe. From our inception we built the company with a remote-first approach because we believe talent has no boundaries.
About the Terraform Developer Experience team
We design, develop and support tools that enable developers to build Terraform providers. A lot of our work is collaborating with teams that ship the official AWS, Azure, GCP and Kubernetes providers. Our SDK powers a massive ecosystem of plugins, so we must take extra care to ensure we’re providing correct features and functionality while keeping a roadmap in mind for the next 1000 providers. We’re looking for collaborative engineers with an interest in improving the Terraform developer experience to come join our growing team. Note that this is not an operations team: we design, develop and fix software, we’re not on-call.
About the Role
You will help fix, design, prototype and implement SDK features and tooling while ensuring stability and usability. All of our work is open source, and as such, we collaborate with the open source community as well as several internal teams. Much of our work is on the SDKv2 and Terraform Plugin Framework, but we contribute to several other projects as well.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Develop, advocate for, and support new and existing features for the Terraform SDK and Terraform Plugin Framework.
- Build tooling to enhance the developer experience
- Contribute in our growing open source community
- Provide code review, mentorship, and support to HashiCorp employees, community members, and partners
- Work on issues and improvements critical to the success of HashiCorp customers and the broader community
- Work on engaging and expanding our community of Terraform provider developers, soliciting feedback from them, and sharing updates with them.
- Partner with the Terraform core team to help guide the development of Terraform features and to advocate for provider developers.
You may be a good fit for our team if some of the following apply:
- You have 2+ years of professional software engineering experience
- You have experience with or interest in learning the Go programming language. You might instead have experience with Rust, C++, Java, C# or other statically typed languages.
- You have experience or interest in learning Terraform and Terraform internals. Bonus points if you’ve written and/or maintain a Terraform plugin, we’d love to hear about it!
- You have experience or are interested in working in an open source software development environment.
- You have experience with or interest in learning infrastructure management concepts.
What is our hiring process like?
The below serves as a basic outline; we may choose to add or remove steps based on the information that we gather during the process.
- Introductory Call with someone from our recruiting team.
- First Interview with an Engineering Manager
- Communication and Collaboration interview
- Technical Assessment (Code Review) interview. We’ll supply a Github Pull Request that you’ll review, so you don’t have to write any code in front of us.
- Systems Design Interview. This is conversational and you don’t have to write any code!
- OSS & Community
- If applicable, a final conversation with the Engineering Manager for the team you would be joining
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.