Posit creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core offering is an open source data science toolchain, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
You’ll be joining a team of passionate, talented engineers who have a proven track record of producing great software used by hundreds of thousands of data analysts worldwide. You will participate in the full lifecycle of the products from design through support, ensuring its high quality and acting as a customer advocate for the best user experience possible.
Your main tasks will be to design and execute automated and manual tests for all levels of the product, and to develop high-level testing strategies designed to ensure that the team as a whole is working toward the same quality goals. This role involves test strategy creation, full-stack testing, test automation framework development, process improvement, data analysis, and puzzle solving, and it offers a significant opportunity to drive the quality of our software through careful testing and thoughtful analysis.If you insist on unrelenting quality, excel at critical thought, and love working with amazing people, this job could be for you.
In this role, you will join a team working on an education product, Posit Academy. It is a unique mentor-led, project-based online data science learning platform. You will be responsible for the day-to-day testing of the features implemented by the team, supported by your teammates and the resources of the full QA group. You will work closely with the developers and other QA engineers to design and execute both manual and automated tests for the features implemented by your team, and to drive full-product validation from a user perspective. We value analysis, reflection, and critical thought on the team, so you will be expected to contribute to lively product discussions throughout the development process.
What you’ll own:
- Create and maintain a high-level test strategy for the team’s products
- Continuous Integration/Testing of feature and full-product test plans
- Analyze and troubleshoot complex problems to find contributing factors, and log steps to reproduce in bug reports. Follow up with bug fix verification.
- Contribute to the design of the software, with a focus on quality and usability
- Collaborate with other QA team members to share knowledge, coordinate coverage, and optimize processes
What you’ll assist with:
- Participate in the full SDLC. You will be involved in the initial planning, requirements, design, architecture review, testing, validation, release verification, user experience, and more.
- Assess risk and review test plan with key stakeholders in the team to scope testing activities for each release
- Collaborate with team members to improve quality-related processes
- Manage a variety of test environments for both manual and automated testing, in collaboration with the team
- Planning for the future of automated tests and infrastructure
- Partner with the support and education teams to triage customer-reported issues
What you’ll teach:
- A quality mindset across the team. Everyone on the team owns product quality, and QA helps set the tone of user advocacy.
- Evangelize QA best practices to help the team maintain a high quality of testing activities
- Industry trends and new technologies related to testing in the cloud
What you’ll learn:
- An appreciation for software in the data science context
- A deeper understanding of cloud infrastructure and DevOps for build / test / deployment
- New skills related to test automation on Linux and cloud platforms
- Experience testing enterprise software, either on-premises or SaaS
- Experience testing and writing automated tests for APIs
- Experience writing UI automated tests
- Experience creating high-level test strategies for multiple products
- Experience with backend testing
- Curiosity and a willingness to learn new technologies
- 5+ years of experience in software Quality Assurance
Nice to have (but not required)
- Experience integrating automated tests into continuous integration processes
- Familiarity with Cypress.
- Experience with virtualization software like Docker, Vagrant, or EC2
- Experience with major cloud vendors like AWS, Azure, or GCP
- Interest in data science and the Posit mission
- Posit is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means that our open-source mission is codified into our charter, and that our corporate decisions balance the interests of the community, customers, employees, and shareholders.
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at Posit.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- Posit’s gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- Our 401k matches up to 50% of the maximum employee contribution after six months.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Seattle or Boston offices.
- Our remote office allowance includes:
- $1000 home office allowance plus an additional $800 for equipment
- Up to $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental
- Our remote office allowance includes:
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
Posit is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.