Welcome in the world of Solar Energy!
At Solar monkey we love making an impact by accelerating the transition to solar energy. We do this by giving solar installers super powers with our innovative software. This allows them to work much more effectively and install even more solar installations. With our software installers can easily design, sell and maintain solar power systems remotely. We are active in 3 countries and are about to expand our horizon internationally. We have seen the Dutch market grow x5 within 5 years and are ready to see the same impact in the rest of Europe!
Are you a seasoned Engineering Manager with a passion for leading high-performing software development teams? Do you thrive in fast-paced environments and want to be part of a SaaS scale up that’s revolutionising the solar energy industry? If so, we have the perfect opportunity for you!
We are looking for a technical leader to inspire, mentor and grow an effective team of software engineers in a fast paced environment. You have a background in software engineering and your passion for problem solving will be pivotal in helping us scale our team, processes and product. You promote high standards, leading the team by creating a challenging environment and providing the support and guidance needed to succeed.
You can live anywhere, as long as you have 6 hours of working hours overlapping with the CET (Amsterdam) timezone (without you working graveyard shifts).
What you will be doing
- Setting clear goals with the teams and driving great execution to deliver on them.
- Manage, mentor and lead a team of 6-10 engineers, a mix of junior to seniors, fostering their professional growth and development.
- Guide the team to adopt healthy development practices in a fast-paced environment.
- Foster a supportive culture of engineering excellence and accountability within your teams.
- Assess the status and progress with a data-driven approach; finding the right metrics and putting forward initiatives to improve on them.
- Provide regular performance feedback, conduct performance evaluations, and support career development conversations.
- Drive hiring efforts to grow our distributed engineering teams.
The salary range for this position is €65-85k per year (excluding 8% holiday pay), depending on skill and experience level. Besides that we offer Stock Appreciation Rights and a 4% learning budget. You’ll get an Apple Macbook Pro to work on.
What’s in it for you
Stock Appreciation Rights
25 holidays excluding the national bank holidays
Available budget for personal development at 4% of gross salary
The opportunity to work hybrid, with a budget to set up your home office
Monthly social events and quarterly strategy days (company wide events also for remote workers). Enough opportunity to have fun with your colleagues 😉
What makes working at Solar Monkey a unique experience?
It’s very simple! We believe that work should be fun. A happy and satisfied team is our number one priority. Our culture can be characterised as informal, no-nonsense and pleasantly warm. Our working environment is dynamic, has a clear structure and short communication lines. We are a close-knit team, where everyone works together with mutual respect. Thinking along and showing initiative is strongly encouraged in everybody, because we do it together! We like to have a lot of fun together, not just during our strategy days or events, but also on regular working days. Working in a team is just as natural for us as generating solar energy.
We do not expect you to tick all of the boxes, but to be comfortable with some and eager to develop yourself in all aspects.
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering, with at least 2 years in a leadership or management role.
- Proven track record of successfully leading and managing remote and distributed teams.
- Experience with a modern software development lifecycle process.
- Knowledge of, and experience in at least two programming languages, and willing to learn Python and Typescript.
- A strong technical background and ability to facilitate software design and architectural discussions.
- Experience with Agile methodologies and a commitment to continuous improvement.
- You work from location +/- 2h CET time zone.
Join us in shaping the future of solar technology and make a meaningful impact on the world. If you’re ready to lead, innovate, and inspire, apply now to become our next Engineering Manager. Let’s drive sustainable energy solutions together!
The application process
Please apply with a cover letter that describes:
Who you are.
Why you? What will you bring to Solar Monkey?
Why this job post and not another?
What relevant work you have done. Preferably something you are excited about.
Please limit it to 500 words or so.
If your application is clear and seems to match what we have in mind, we will call you for a short (20m) phone call. Otherwise we will let you know by email, if possible with some helpful feedback about the reason of rejection.
After resume selection, you’ll participate in quick neuro-scientific games to highlight your potential and personality objectively. This promotes fair evaluation and transparency in line with our values. You will receive your game results too.
1 hour interview
This is a remote interview with two developers from our side. We will discuss your background and experience and leave some room for questions from your side.
2 hour interview
In this (real-life or remote) session we will dive a bit deeper into your experience and skill level with two other interviewers. Again, there will be enough room for questions both ways.
We will ask for several references to get a more extensive picture of you besides what we can learn in a couple hours of interviewing.