Fully Remote (in the U.S.)
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
We are seeking a Solutions Architect to join our Criminal Justice team. Our Criminal Justice team is working to transform the way the government delivers services to those most impacted by the criminal justice system. Our goal is to help the government implement policies that decriminalize, decarcerate, and reinvest in communities by removing barriers to employment, housing, health, and education.
The vision for Clear My Record is for the government to automatically clear all eligible criminal records so people can pass routine background checks to access jobs, housing, and educational opportunities from which they are typically excluded. We work at the intersection of technology, design, and policy and are working to expand, streamline, and automate the criminal record clearance process to clear all eligible criminal records in the U.S.
About the Role:
The Solutions Architect will help us build out open source tooling to empower states to clear their criminal records. You will be developing and leveraging open source technology to address complex data and integration challenges across a wide variety of tech stacks. You’ll also be an early member of our Solutions Engineering Team at Code for America, helping us define the contours of the role over time.
This position is a fully remote position and will report to the Director of Solutions Engineering.
In this position you will:
- Design and implement flexible open source solutions to challenges involving data quality, normalization and spread across multiple systems.
- Implement proof-of-concept applications, software installations, and custom development projects in support of automated record clearance across multiple states.
- Assist in project planning and drafting statements of work and technical requirements
- Provide hands-on assistance and recommendations for addressing and systematizing solutions to complex data processing needs.
- 7+ years of experience as a Software Engineer, Solutions Engineer, or Solutions Architect with experience leading projects and interacting with customers.
- Recent back-end development, database, data-science and/or devops experience.
- 4+ years of experience coding backend systems and data infrastructure in an industry-standard language (Python, Ruby, Java, Scala, Kotlin, etc)
- Fundamentally curious and empathetic; able to thoughtfully balance partner, user, and team needs and identify solutions that move the work forward towards greater impact.
- Tenacity and adaptability; able to navigate relationships and technical challenges and unblock yourself and your team.
- Strong self management skills and a proven ability to manage multiple engagements simultaneously
- Ability to engage in research to learn about current systems and architecture, and then incorporate this knowledge to design new solutions and new architectures
- Fast learning curve and capacity to get up to speed in new tech stacks whenever needed.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail.
- Passion for our mission to make government services better for the people who need them most.
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Experience working with or in government.
- Personal experience with or professional experience working within the justice system, social safety net or other mission-relevant government services.
- Experience working with data classification, entity resolution, natural language processing or any of the following applications: OpenRefine, Trifacta, Talend.
- Active contribution to open source projects.
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We extend this to our hiring process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. for all new hires. The salary ranges and target midpoints for this role at our various staff levels are:
- Senior Engineers – Salary range: $120,850 – $163,300 in yearly salary. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we target the median for all new hires. The target midpoint for new hires is $136,675.
- Staff Engineers – Salary range: $139,400 – $188,600 in yearly salary. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we target the median for all new hires. The target midpoint for new hires is $157,850.
- Principal Engineers – Salary range: $155,550 – $211,600 in yearly salary. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we target the median for all new hires. The target midpoint for new hires is $176,138.
These ranges and the target are for the San Francisco / Bay Area market and are subject to adjustment for cost of living differentials. The largest cost of living adjustment is 15%.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.