Code for America reached a voluntary recognition agreement with Code for America Workers United, affiliated with OPEIU (Office Professional Employees International Union, Local 1010), effective on October 22, 2021. We are currently engaged in negotiations towards our first collective bargaining agreement.
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
About the role:
We are seeking a Solutions Architect to help support our Tax Benefits team.
Our Tax Benefits team delivers GetYourRefund and GetCTC, two services that help make sure that everyone can file taxes for free with ease and dignity. Our goal is to make sure every eligible American gets the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC), and we’ve helped over 200k people get over $750M in benefits to date.
This role may be perfect for you if you have the technical skills to tackle engineering problems, the social skills to face human-factors problems, and the judgment to differentiate between the two. The ability to communicate complex technical concepts in straightforward language to non-technical audiences will be critical to your success.
In this position you will:
- Lead technical advisement, implementation, migration and integration projects for government safety net services
- Assist in project planning and drafting statements of work and technical requirements
- Build and maintain relationships and develop technical champions within government and partner organizations.
- Implement proof-of-concept applications, software installations, and custom development projects.
- Participate in calls with government partners and provide written resources to communicate complex technical concepts.
- Provide technical perspectives and expertise in service of improved government services for government agencies, organizational stakeholders, and other key audiences.
- Evaluate the technical landscape and partner capacity for prospective new state engagements, drafting assessments and recommendations.
- Work closely with cross-functional government partners to clarify problems and understand system constraints, and offer feasible and high-value technical solutions that consider the needs of all stakeholders.
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer, Solutions Engineer, or Solutions Architect with experience leading projects and interacting with customers
- Advisement and implementation experience with GenTax software and APIs
- Ability to engage in research to learn about current systems and architecture, and then incorporate this knowledge to design new solutions and new architectures.
- Fundamentally curious and empathetic; able to thoughtfully balance partner, user, and team needs and identify solutions that move the work forward towards greater impact.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail.
- Passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them most.
- Tenacity and adaptability; able to navigate relationships and technical challenges and unblock yourself and your team.
- Willingness to travel, post Covid.
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. The targets for this role are dependent on the market/geographic location. The targets for this role range are as follows:
- Staff Solutions Architect – The targets for this role range from $128,945 – $157,850.
- Principal Solutions Architect – The targets for this role range from $143,884 – $176,138.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.