For the first time, Stack Overflow is looking for a Copywriter to play a leading role in defining our tone of voice and wider brand positioning.
Stack Overflow and the Stack Exchange network has a large and diverse audience comprising the community visiting our Public Platform and customers (or potential customers) of our three paid products, Stack Overflow for Teams, Stack Overflow Advertising and Stack Overflow Talent. Knowing when we are speaking to one, both, or when they are the same is the challenge. We’ve spent the last 18 months making great strides with our visual Brand. Now we want to grow the ‘Brand’ team with the addition of a Sr. Copywriter, someone who can help us figure out what we want to say and how to say it.
While we’re hiring remote (globally), we need your working hours to overlap with at least the hours of 10AM – 1PM US Eastern time.
What you’ll do:
- Community is at the center of everything we do. Your work will nurture healthy communities where everyone is encouraged to learn and give back.
- There has never been a single minded approach to copy at Stack Overflow (click around, you’ll see!), so you will define our voice and become the voice of truth for how we communicate and advocate for the craft of copywriting.
- Collaborate with Brand Designers, Marketers and Product and Engineering Stackers to produce Marketing collateral across print and digital which shape the brand. Writing to length and being aware of how responsive websites can affect the flow of copy.
- This role extends out of day-to-day marketing needs and into other areas such as in-product copy, social media and our growing content production arm.
- Project management skills – managing your own time and collaborating closely with Product Marketing Managers to develop their ideas into a brief for a designer/developer, then proofing before final delivery.
- Work with the data-side of the marketing team to analyze content performance metrics to evaluate what worked well and what didn’t.
- Strategize within Brand and with other Marketing team members to pitch and execute on ideas to raise the awareness of our Brand.
- Advocate for what you do. Most of your colleagues haven’t worked with a copywriting function so educating and inspiring those around you.
What we want to see:
- Proactive and can prioritize more work than we have time for. We have 10+ years of technical/writing/design debt to go through. What has the most impact vs the time it takes? Which projects do you need help from others on?
- A diverse writing portfolio including some or all of: long-form, advertising, product and sub-editing skills.
- Software is still eating the world. We’re at the center of developer culture so being sensitive and culturally-relevant to our audience is a must (memes, anyone?)
- Experience working with both designers, perhaps in an agency environment. Expect pings for ad-hoc advice and help dealing with widows and orphans.
- Ability to break down complex technical concepts into layman terms.
- Good stakeholder management skills – knowing how to prioritize and effectively pushback is a must.
- Experience working remotely and asynchronously. Our HQ is in New York but your immediate team is fully remote in Europe and the US, with key stakeholders across the US and beyond.
- Bonus: you have an interest/passion/experience editing – there’s always something written that needs a sense check or second opinion (this job description for example).
- Bonus II: you’re not afraid to get stuck into some code (just basic HTML) and maybe you’ve used GitHub. If not, you’ll learn something by watching some of the most talented developers in the world do their thing.
What you’ll need to have:
- A minimum of 5+ years of writing B2B marketing copy; prior experience with technical writing, is a plus
- Must have branding experience
- Agency experience is a plus
- Someone with impeccable attention to detail
- Creative thinker and problem solver who’s comfortable working in a fast-pace environment
- Have a solid understanding of overall marketing strategy and are able to serve as a strategic partner to departments across the team
- Effective and proactive communicator who enjoys collaborating and working with others
- Driven and welcome to constructive feedback to improve your skills
- Passionate about what you do and all things writing, marketing, storytelling
- Prior experience working with in a remote role
- A portfolio with examples of your writing is a must for this position
- If this job interests you but you aren’t certain if you meet all of the requirements, apply anyway!
- An obvious one for writers, but we don’t consider applications without cover letters – please make sure to include yours and talk about why you want to work here.
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary & Commission
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (12-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.