MO helps government leaders achieve their mission by designing intuitive and sustainable customer experiences that build trust and improve satisfaction. We use human-centered design to modernize and transform customer and employee experiences. We’re a small team of interdisciplinary creatives with mission, impact, and service to others deeply rooted in our DNA. We’re naive enough to believe we can change the world and bold enough to take the chance to do it.
We combine design thinking with agile delivery methods to drive visionary, human-centered products to market. Our custom solutions range in size from completely revamping an entire application to refreshing small pieces of a larger product. Everyone at MO directly impacts the direction and success of the company, and we own our roles. We value integrity, curiosity, and courage, and we operate collaboratively and with accountability while consistently challenging each other in the pursuit of excellence. At MO, we delight in creating one-of-a-kind products and experiences. Your imagination is the only limit on what you can do here!
Are you looking to make an impact? We are looking for a Senior Experience Designer to partner with a Product Owner to lead and direct a multi-disciplinary team through the HCD process for our client in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). In this position, you will be working in a small, cross-functional team of researchers, designers, product managers, and solution architects to understand and synthesize customer needs, strategize improved service delivery, and design innovative solutions built on SaaS and PaaS products for VA employees inside various Program Offices of the Veterans Business Administration (e.g., Education, Home Loans, Vocational Rehab, Claims, etc.). As a part of this team, you will also contribute to the culture, process, and visioning of our growing design capabilities. If you have experience integrating human centered design practices into the deployment of impactful, scalable digital services we’d love to hear from you.
How will you spend your time? 90-95% of your time will be spent on billable work, and roughly 5-10% of your time will be spent maturing our HCD practice at MO and mentoring mid-level and junior HCD team members.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team of product managers, engineers and designer / researchers to deliver positive, accessible and impactful user experiences.
- Using relevant human centered research methods, develop and lead approaches to discovery that establish research objectives, directly involve users, and provide stakeholders with a deeper understanding of the environment (and its opportunities and constraints) as well as the key problems to solve.
- Design, test and rapidly iterate on prototypes to evaluate assumptions with users, demonstrate fixes for their issues, and get us closer to the envisioned service delivery state.
- Create deliverables that drive the product vision, using a mix of design systems, research findings, wireframes, sitemaps, flowcharts, storyboards, and user stories, personas and journey maps.
- Proactive capturing of user insights, design opportunities, and translation into documentation of user stories and product requirements.
- Commit to inclusive and accessible product designs and builds.
- Participate in peer reviews with other HCD practitioners and provide / receive direct and actionable feedback that empowers continuous learning and improvement.
- Work with MO leadership to build and mature an HCD Community of Practice.
- Provide mentorship to mid-level and junior level HCD team members.
What We’re Looking For
- 8+ years of design experience in a team environment who has experience leading multiple digital service projects using a consultative approach with an ability to understand client expectations, work as a cross-functional team, and be accountable for delivering against user needs.
- Deep experience leading and employing HCD research and design methodologies to uncover problem spaces and identify solutions.
- Experience advocating for, and educating clients on, the use of true human centered design methodologies and practices.
- Ability to integrate and collaborate across design research, product management, and engineering disciplines to identify priorities and create a shared understanding as it relates to the UX and broader product direction.
- Expert at prototyping at different levels of fidelity and using the right modern design platform to drive the project forward.
- Experience working in both agile and waterfall methodologies, and using toolsets such as GitHub and Backlog management tools to create user stories.
- Excellent ability to communicate to and collaborate with project stakeholders and SMEs to establish support and buy-in as part of product decision-making and direction setting.
- A growth mindset and love of learning both new ideas and ways of working, architecting radically collaborative environments that drive behaviors needed to transform experiences, and a willingness to ask for help early and often.
- An empathetic approach to conversations with users, clients, partners and MO team members.
- Nice to have: experience working on federal government systems (VA experience preferred); experience working with PaaS and Saas platforms such as Salesforce; experience working in a fully remote team environment or remote freelancing.
MO’s Employee Value Proposition
- A fun, dynamic working environment with an energetic and diverse team
- A REMOTE first work environment
- An inclusive culture where everyone is welcome
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Opportunities for career growth
- Full health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
- 401K plan
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Short- and Long-Term Disability in addition to Life Insurance (company sponsored)
All MO leaders are expected to lead with humility, embody our core values in their leadership, and to hold their team accountable to the same. MO leaders are expected to ensure we are always growing by tackling hard problems, being strategic, and learning from others.
The starting pay range for this role is $135,000 – 145,000. In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, MO’s job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we’ve outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility.
MO is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all interested candidates to apply. If you have more experience beyond what is detailed here, we’d be happy to take a look. If you meet most but not all of the requirements, we still want to hear from you.
This application will remain open until filled.