Aha! is the world’s #1 roadmap software. We help more than 5,000 companies build lovable products and be happy doing it. Our company is self-funded and profitable, and has been entirely remote since we started in 2013.
Aha! engineering is a mid-sized, fully remote team that is highly productive. We are centered around North American time zones so we can collaborate during the workday.
- We move quickly: We ship code multiple times a day. We believe in getting new features in front of customers and iteratively improving as we learn what works and what does not.
- We collaborate: We each bring unique experiences and skills to the table. Working together to share that knowledge benefits the entire team and helps us produce the best results for our customers.
- We value product over process: We want the team to have the time and focus to solve complex challenges. We aim to minimize the overhead introduced by heavyweight processes and excessive meetings.
- We enjoy: We like what we do. And we want you to love your job too. Learn more about The Responsive Method, our company values, and the generous benefits we offer.
Our sole product is the Aha! web application. It is a single-instance, multi-tenant Ruby on Rails monolith supported by Postgres (database), Redis (background jobs), and memcached (Rails caching). We also run a Node.js webserver to support collaborative editing and real-time updates. Our application is hosted on Amazon Web Services and architected with ECS for reproducibility and scalability.
We use React for rich client-side experiences on the front end. Some of the features we have built with React include:
- Our fully collaborative text editor: Supports multiple cursors and simultaneous editing by any number of users. We also published a blog post explaining the underlying technology.
- Our presentation editor: Allows users to create presentations with slide themes, shapes, text, and embedded Aha! reports (which update live so the presentation is always current).
- Our Gantt chart: Supports scaling and scrolling to change the timeline, drag-and-drop, and quick actions to create records or sort the bars.
We embrace new technologies that help us deliver a lovable product, but we also remain cognizant of the maintenance overhead that a new library or platform brings. We solve the problems in front of us, rather than prematurely optimizing to address issues that may never materialize.
We do most of our collaboration and planning in Aha! itself, which we find especially rewarding. We also utilize GitHub, Slack, and GoToMeeting for video calls.
We believe that being a kind person who elevates the rest of the team is just as valuable as writing great code. You have strong problem-solving skills and experience working on important functionality for a cloud-based product. You are humble, eager to learn, and always willing to help others learn as well. You want to work with people who enjoy picking up a problem and solving it, regardless of the technologies and techniques involved.
All of our engineers work across the full stack. As a Senior Front End Engineer, you can expect to spend the majority of your time working with React or HTML/CSS, but you will also be asked to write significant back end code in Ruby on Rails to support the front end features you are building.
Your work at Aha!
We work on a broad range of features across the full stack. Your work will include:
- Implementing new features for our users, touching each layer of the MVC as needed
- Building deeply interactive reporting interfaces using React
- Working proactively with product and UX to refine and iterate on specifications as the feature takes shape
- Optimizing browser performance on screens and components that render large quantities of data to ensure Aha! is snappy and satisfying to use
- Interfacing directly with users to quickly squash bugs as part of our regular customer support rotation
- Documenting components in our style guide to help drive consistency
If this sounds appealing, we would love to hear from you. (A real human reviews every application.)