Aha! is the world’s #1 roadmap software. We help more than 5,000 companies build lovable products and be happy doing it. Our company is self-funded and profitable, and has been entirely remote since we started in 2013.
Aha! engineering is a mid-sized, fully remote team that is highly productive. We are centered around North American time zones so we can collaborate during the workday.
- We move quickly: We ship code multiple times a day. We believe in getting new features in front of customers and iteratively improving as we learn what works and what does not.
- We collaborate: We each bring unique experiences and skills to the table. Working together to share that knowledge benefits the entire team and helps us produce the best results for our customers.
- We value product over process: We want the team to have the time and focus to solve complex challenges. We aim to minimize the overhead introduced by heavyweight processes and excessive meetings.
- We enjoy: We like what we do. And we want you to love your job too. Learn more about The Responsive Method, our company values, and the generous benefits we offer.
Our web application is a single-instance, multi-tenant Ruby on Rails monolith supported by Postgres (database), Redis (background jobs), and memcached (Rails caching). We also run a Node.js webserver to support collaborative editing and real-time updates. Our application is hosted on Amazon Web Services and architected with ECS for reproducibility and scalability.
We use React for rich client-side experiences on the front end. Some of the features we have built with React include:
- Our fully collaborative text editor: Supports multiple cursors and simultaneous editing by any number of users. We also published a blog post explaining the underlying technology.
- Our presentation editor: Allows users to create presentations with slide themes, shapes, text, and embedded Aha! reports (which update live so the presentation is always current).
- Our Gantt chart: Supports scaling and scrolling to change the timeline, drag-and-drop, and quick actions to create records or sort the bars.
We embrace new technologies that help us deliver a lovable product, but we also remain cognizant of the maintenance overhead that a new library or platform brings. We solve the problems in front of us, rather than prematurely optimizing to address issues that may never materialize.
We do most of our collaboration and planning in Aha! itself, which we find especially rewarding. We also utilize GitHub, Slack, and Zoom for video calls.
We believe that being a kind person who elevates the rest of the team is just as valuable as writing great code. You have strong problem-solving skills and experience working on important functionality for a cloud-based product. You are humble, eager to learn, and always willing to help others learn as well. You want to work with people who enjoy picking up a problem and solving it, regardless of the technologies and techniques involved.
Your work at Aha!
We maintain security controls and perform security reviews on a broad range of features across the full stack. Your work will include:
- Security code reviews that go above and beyond what can be found through scanning tools (which we use too!)
- Cloud and network security reviews of Amazon Web Services infrastructure that is implemented via infrastructure as code
- Monitoring third-party dependency vulnerability reports and applying fixes and mitigations
- Sharing security findings and new developments internally for ongoing education
- Participating in security monitoring, incident response, and investigations
If this sounds appealing, we would love to hear from you. (A real human reviews every application.)