Some of the projects the team has or will work on include:
- Developing and evangelizing a new standard for service health checks and uptime monitoring
- Conducting an extensive survey of industry accessibility automation tools and making implementation recommendations
- “Productizing” a load testing framework to enable Instructure teams to test their applications against the enormous scale of Canvas
- Developing an Instructure implementation of a Test Pyramid, documenting tooling recommendations in a Test Technology Radar, and measuring team testing maturity with a Test Ladder
- Owning various automation and monitoring frameworks to support Instructure’s many development teams
What you’ll do:
- Conduct in-depth research into automation, monitoring, and other practices and tools – adapting the best industry practices to Instructure’s needs
- Rapidly code proofs of concept to evaluate ideas and approaches
- Embed on engineering teams to understand their problems and teach best practices
- Present in small and large group settings – sometimes to the entire engineering department – on ideas and project results
- Maintain various pieces of testing infrastructure, including being on-call (though notably less than an average SaaS engineer)
- Develop relationships with Software Engineers and Software Engineers in Test throughout the company; listening to and assisting them
- Work closely with the other TestOps engineers – sharing research, debating ideas, pair programming, reviewing code, and giving feedback on papers and presentations
- Write, write, write: READMEs, wikis, slide decks, whitepapers, slack PSAs
What you’ll need:
- 5+ years of SaaS engineering experience, with strong skill in test automation and general software engineering
- Evidence of having senior-level impact on your teams and organizations
- Skill at presenting effectively to small and large groups
- Ability to write clearly, concisely, and persuasively
- Passion for helping a large and diverse engineering organization get better at serving high quality to its customers
- Courage to regularly pick up new assignments, and willingness to sometimes do this on short notice
- Effective insight in designing the right solutions for Instructure’s unique situations and circumstances
- Positive attitude and resilience to changes and challenges
Get in on all the awesome of Instructure:
- Competitive salary and 401k.
- Medical, dental, disability, and life insurance.
- HSA program, vision, voluntary life, and AD&D.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Paid time off, 10 paid holidays, and flexible work schedules.
- Gym club reimbursements and rewards-based fitness tracking.