Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 60 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities. We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world’s developers. The products and services are focused on technical recruiting, developer marketing, and enterprise knowledge sharing. Our clientele includes Google, Microsoft, Bloomberg, and many other Fortune 500 names. We’re a profitable and fast-growing organization looking for talented, self-directed individuals who combine technical know-how with excellent writing abilities.
The Staff Accountant at Stack Overflow is responsible for independently performing the key accounting functions required to enable the organization to scale quickly and fulfill its mission.
The Staff Accountant will play an important role in ensuring the accuracy of the general ledger in compliance with US GAAP. They will also contribute to developing and improving key systems, processes, policies, and controls for the global organization. The Staff Accountant reports directly to the Accounting Manager in New York, NY.
What you’ll do:
The Staff Accountant performs the following critical functions so that the accounting and finance functions for the global accounting operations can operate successfully:
- Participate in the timely completion of the month-end close process, including booking journal entries, performing GL account reconciliations, and adding value through performing review activities.
- Own the bank reconciliation process ensuring all cash is accurately accounted for
- Liaise with IT team to maintain accurate Fixed Asset balances and process depreciation on a monthly basis
- Maintain prepaid schedules, ensuring the accuracy of additions and amortization.
- Assist with the posting of intercompany transactions
- Import credit card expense transactions and complete corporate card liability reconciliations
- Assist with global compliance and tax filings
- Assist in the annual audit and financial statement process. Liaise with external auditors and prepare required supporting schedules and documentation.
- Identify and propose internal control improvement opportunities and assist management with process changes. Assist with documentation of business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Support and collaborate on initiatives to enhance processes and further streamline the efficient operations of the Accounting Team to facilitate more accurate financial records and timely reporting.
- Provide backup support to critical accounting functions, including Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable.
- Assist with related special projects, ad hoc reporting, and other duties as needed
What you’ll need to have?
- 2+ years of accounting experience
- BS/BA or equivalent degree in Accounting or other related field.
- Public accounting experience is a strong plus.
- Intermediate excel skills (e.g. knowledge of VLOOK-UP, Pivot Tables, SUMIF; comfortable working with large datasets)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Energetic, highly organized and a self starter with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage time-sensitive projects and collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Versatile, flexible, and willing to take initiative and work independently
- Working towards a CPA qualification (or equivalent).
- SageIntacct ERP
- Experience working in the software/hi-tech industry with previous SaaS experience highly preferred.
- Comfortable working with software tools and learning a variety of new systems
- Competitive salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our office (re-opening June 2021 at the earliest due to COVID-19), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
Stack Overflow does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.