Nav is democratizing small business financing. In other words, we give small business owners access and control. Yes, this challenges the norm, but it means working with curious, purpose driven, dedicated, and inquisitively smart people who push themselves, our company and the community to the next level (and every level after that). We are the people behind the tech. And when it’s good, we look for better. We don’t over think the value we bring nor spend time trying to revamp mantras. We also do not come up with some crafty way to tell you who we are and what we offer. We are Nav! Here, you’ll gain a wealth of experience, learn the tricks of the trade, and work with winners. All companies say people are connected to their mission but in our case our mission and our people are one – it is a way of being not just a cause you are committed to. And since 2013, Nav has holistically and organically developed its own ideology because Nav can only be Nav.
We are seeking an innovative and passionate Data Engineer to join our team. In this role you will be responsible for building the data and reporting infrastructure to power our systems, working with our team of engineers, product managers and designers; helping us create a better experience for the millions of Nav Small business users. You’ll also work with our business intelligence and data science teams to improve the data platform, ensuring that the entire company is able to make better data-driven decisions.
WHAT WE EMPOWER YOU WITH:
- Building cool stuff by maintaining and fulfilling a technical data engineering roadmap and vision vision.
- Creating data and reporting infrastructure by building and optimizing production-grade data pipelines through the use of continuous integration.
- Exploring data sets for insight and understanding that will help drive great product changes and priority.
- Communicating results and findings to company audiences of varying technical ability in a clear, engaging manner. Breaking down complex technical concepts into digestible tid-bits.
- Supporting self-service data pipeline management (ETL) and self-directed learning process.
- Addressing competing explanations in result validity, and use formal reasoning approaches to avoid bias and miscommunication.
- Collaboration with Engineering and Data Analysts to identify and design ways to solve critical business problems and ensure funnel optimization.
- Ability to design, develop, and maintain scalable, reusable code.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- You are a driven data engineer with experience working with big data technologies such as Docker, ECS, S3, Redshift, Kinesis, and EMR.
- You love building data-driven products and have expertise in one or more programming languages (ideally Python).
- You have strong SQL experience, with expert level skill in Server, MySQL, Postgres, and /or AWS Redshift.
- You’re an Apache Airflow practitioner with experience managing cross-DAG dependencies in Airflow.
- You have experience with AWS SQS, SNS, RDS and EC2 and Lambda (EKS and Eventbridge a Plus).
- You have Installed, deployed and upgraded Airflow service on Linux containers.
- You’re an expert on data integration strategy, Utilizing ETL and data warehousing skills to support a business.
- You know how to implement, advocate, and teach agile practices, and adapt them to your people and circumstances, while working in accordance with data ethics & privacy standards.
- You can consistently evolve data models & data schema based on business and engineering needs.
- You’ve developed and extended design patterns, processes, standards, frameworks and reusable components for use in various data engineering functions and areas.
- Ability to implement systems for tracking data quality and consistency.
- You have maintained Linux servers and understand Docker/Kubernetes.
- You’re comfortable working directly with all internal data consumers and are eager to share your work through calibrations and organizational product demos.
- You are committed to quality! And you’re someone who’s willing to tackle technical debt and constantly evolving our processes to help nav grow.
- We’d love it if you have a high level understanding of credit scores, ecommerce, and B2B financing.
WHO YOU ARE:
- You thrive in an autonomous workplace based on trust, dependability, and integrity providing you the ability to exercise independent judgment in providing consistent, data centered deliverables.
- A high-energy multitasker with exceptional organizational skills.
- You are comfortable operating on both strategic and tactical levels, simultaneously.
- You are constantly researching and assessing companies’ best practices through networking and strategic partnerships.
- You have an affinity for a hyper-growth business.
- You are flexible and respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities; ability to work under tight deadlines and plan, organize and carry out multiple, detailed tasks.
- You are an influencer with strong business and financial acumen – you find the intersections between technical operations & company strategy.
- You have excellent analytical, decision making and complex problem-solving skills.
INCLUSION AT NAV:
At Nav, we celebrate what makes our employees unique because the businesses we serve are progressively diverse and distinctly original. Navericks are diverse, side hustlers, immigrants, veterans, queer, and we push generational boundaries. We are college dropouts, PhDs, special needs parents, allies, pet owners and community leaders. Navericks are human. We are committed to upholding a safe, supportive environment where everyone matters. We are committed to making a better future for all of us. We have created a workplace where people of all backgrounds can express their identities authentically. To put it simply we want you to be proud to be you.
OUR COMPENSATION PHILOSOPHY IS SIMPLE BUT POWERFUL.
We believe great, enduring relationships are grounded in trust and transparency. Compensation shouldn’t be a distraction, and employees should understand how pay and career advancement decisions are made. Providing equal pay for equal work is table stakes for being a great place to work. Gender and ethnic inequity should only be something that our children read about in history books. We believe providing Navsters with company ownership, competitive pay, and a range of meaningful benefits is the start of creating a culture where people want to give the best they’ve got — not because they’re simply making money, but because they’ve fallen in love with our vision, mission, values, and team.
OUR IMPACT ON YOU:
Competitive Pay. Company Ownership. Unlimited Vacation. Benefits Day One. 6 Weeks Paid Parental Leave. Work From Anywhere (yes we were distributed before it was cool). Flexible Work Arrangements. Free Telehealth and Telemental Health For All Employees. Employee Networking and Events. Community Network Groups (women’s, PRIDE, culture). Meaningful Perks and Rewards. Learning and Development Opportunities. Pet Insurance.
A NAVERICK’S DNA:
- We look at the future and say “why not”; we see possibilities where others see problems or routines. We show the way ahead and are committed to achieving ambitious goals.
- We practice straight talk and listen generously to each other with empathy. We value different opinions and point of views. We ensure that we connect outside as well as inside to learn from others and inspire each other.
- We hold ourselves accountable for delivering results. We choose to not to be a victim of circumstance. We make decisions & take responsibility so that we can act & support each other, rather than adopting defensive, and “finger pointing” behaviors.
- As leaders we motivate & engage our teams to undertake beyond what they originally thought possible, by developing our teams & creating the conditions for people to grow and empower themselves through enabling & coaching.