Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We’re large enough that you’ll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
We are looking for an experienced Analytics professional to help drive the success of product efforts at Etsy by providing actionable insights, industry-leading measurement techniques, and access to the metrics, data, and tools needed for decision-making and optimization.
As a Staff Data Scientist, you’ll partner with cross-functional peers through all stages of development: identifying initial opportunities, refining the user experience, analyzing the impact of our efforts, and highlighting improvement areas. Ultimately, the team’s work strengthens Etsy and helps continuously improve the Etsy experience!
Learning new skills and techniques is not only a requirement but a perk of the job! We are always looking for opportunities to grow. Our mission is to guide product with data-driven insights, telling the story of how we improve the experience for our users, to teams, to senior management, and to the community.
This is a full-time position located (eventually) in Brooklyn, NY or San Francisco, CA, reporting to the Manager, Product Analytics. We offer flexible workplace policies that can accommodate work from home candidates who are comfortable traveling to an office location 2-3 times per week.
About the Role
In this role you will:
- You will partner with our Search Product team to achieve results-oriented goals around search relevance and experience
- Play a meaningful role in deciding how we can best engage and grow Etsy users by determining and helping execute on opportunities for growth through analysis of behavioral and transactional data
- Design and analyze rigorous experiments, help teams set great hypotheses, and deliver robust analysis of experiment results
- Transform raw data into meaningful and impactful analysis characterized by strong data governance, technique transparency, and clear documentation
- Raise the skill level of the entire analytics team through the creation of outstanding work, mentorship, and the introduction of better practices, processes, and tools
Ideally, you’ll bring:
- 6+ years experience as a data scientist or data analyst in which you have extracted meaning from big data sets with little engineering support.
- Ability to guide product teams to identify high-impact opportunities, set meaningful goals against key outcomes, and driven decisions. Experience working with Search and Machine Learning focused product teams is a plus.
- Mastery of SQL and either R or Python, and you actively try new approaches to advance your technical skills. Bonus points for experience with the Hadoop ecosystem and Looker, Tableau, or other data visualization software.
- Specialization in sophisticated analyses and regularly use advanced statistical methods in your work.
- Skill in distilling highly complex problems into narratives that are concise, actionable, and memorable, and express your recommendations with both conviction and finesse.
- Passion about reproducible work and have picked up tools to this end; you have acted as a mentor, teaching others how to make their own work better and more efficient.
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you’d be right for the position. As you’ve hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.