GitHub is looking for a Staff Security Engineer to join our Security Operations team. We are a hybrid team of traditional infrastructure engineers, site reliability engineers and security engineers, working together to create systems and tools that enable our fellow engineers to securely operate and scale the world’s largest platform for developer collaboration.
As a member of this team, you will design, and drive implementation of organization-wide capabilities such as secrets management, identity and access management, gateway access, secure provisioning, security telemetry and more. You’ll always be challenged to solve interesting and novel problems that have real impact on how the world builds software.
The team is highly distributed and you must thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You will be expected to have strong written and oral communication skills and be able to develop effective relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
- Architect/develop, implement, and help maintain infrastructure security services.
- Mentor team members to uplevel technical and interpersonal security skills.
- Partner with teams across the organization (infrastructure, application engineering, data analytics, etc.) to ensure the security, availability and resilience – of our infrastructure and services.
- Provide security guidance on new projects and technologies.
- Inform and influence updates to our security policies, standards, and procedures.
- Cultivate the open source projects developed by GitHub and build things you are proud to share.
- Participate in on-call rotations and respond to incidents as necessary.
- Proficiency with the GNU/Linux operating system and shell scripting.
- Proficiency in at least one high level language such as Ruby, Python, Golang, etc.
- Experience with Azure or a similar cloud provider.
- Familiarity with configuration/orchestration management software such as Terraform, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- A tenacious ability to diagnose and fix security, performance and reliability problems.
- Pragmatic and collaborative approach to decision making and system design.
- Familiarity with DevOps best practices such as continuous integration & deployment.
- Understanding of production system monitoring & observability and experience with telemetry systems/tools, like ELK, Splunk, Azure Data Explorer, and TICK stacks.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed – Trust by Default – Ship to Learn – Own the Outcome – Growth Mindset – Global Product, Global Team – Anything is Possible – Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We’ve designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We’ve designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we’ve built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.