Who We Are: WellSaid Labs
We’re creating Voice for everyone.
At WellSaid Labs, we enable creatives around the globe by putting high-tech, human parity technology into their hands, giving them the ability to add voice-over to any project and iterate with ease. Creative teams use WellSaid Lab’s Voice Studio to create compelling employee training, design unique digital experiences, and narrate audiobooks. We believe deeply in AI for Good, and that technology should be empowering, engaging, and fair to all people
How You’ll Contribute:
As Staff Software Engineer, Machine Learning, you will work closely with the CTO to elevate the developer experience for our state-of-the-art Deep Learning TTS service. This includes optimizing our training pipeline, automating our delivery pipelines, and rewriting abstraction layers.
In your day-today, you’ll work on:
- Iteratively and incrementally improving the ease of use, reliability, and performance of our TTS service.
- Building tooling for automating custom voice creation.
- Setting up a CI / CD pipeline.
- Developing data structures for loading, processing, and validating 1000s of hours of text and speech data.
- Improving the performance and the scalability of our machine learning training pipeline by integrating tools like DeepSpeed, PyTorch AMP, PyTorch JIT, and PyTorch Profiler.
- Measuring and monitoring our TTS deployment including managing standard metrics like latency, performance, and cost as well as keeping track of TTS metrics like loudness, cadence, and naturalness.
- Improving the scalability of our TTS deployment.
- Being mindful and conscientious of AI ethics and the social impact of the work you do at WellSaid Labs including advocating for what you believe is right.
- Open-sourcing reusable libraries and tooling.
What We’re Looking For
To thrive in this role, you have extensive experience with and a solid understanding of ML concepts and best practices, experience with deep learning frameworks (e.g., PyTorch, Tensorflow, etc.), and an understanding of the key elements to a good developer experience. You’ve worked on and/or led at least two significant projects that utilized ML to solve a real world customer pain point or create/inform a solution for a customer. Ideally, you also have some combination of the following:
- Must have experience using PyTorch professionally.
- Has multi-year experience in iteratively and incrementally developing a mature data-driven web service.
- Mindset and experience automating delivery pipelines and integrating continuous monitoring.
- Affinity for creating modular, scalable, secure, and well-tested code.
- Experience with and passion for building reusable tools to increase workflow efficiencies.
- A background using data structures and algorithms to process large amounts of data.
- Strong cross-team collaboration skills.
- Working experience with most other elements of our tech stack which includes: C++, Python, CUDA, Docker, Google Kubernetes Engine.
- An agile, iterative mentality and approach to problem-solving.
- (Bonus) Experience with web technologies like HTML, CSS, React, Node.
- (Bonus) Experience profiling and optimizing deep neural network performance.
- Great attention to detail.
To join our team you must also:
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Pass a pre-employment background check
What We Offer
WSL is proud to support an inclusive work environment that emphasizes each team member’s personal and professional growth. Our team is fully distributed throughout the U.S., and we support flexible schedules – work where and when you work best. You’ll have teammates just a Slack message or video call away if you ever need help solving an exciting challenge, or even if you just have a funny story to tell.
Other perks and benefits:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Matching 401(k) plan
- Generous vacation policy/paid time off
- Parental leave
- Learning & development stipend
- Home office stipend
As a startup, we strive to be externally competitive with companies at a similar size and stage, and internally fair in our pay practices. The hiring salary range for this role is $180-210k and represents the target offer range given the scope and experience expectations for this role.
What to Expect From Us
We strongly encourage you to apply! If we feel your skills, experience, and values match, we’ll reach out about meeting with the team.
During the interview stage, you can expect:
- An introductory interview with the hiring manager (50 minutes); if there’s a match we’ll schedule an interview loop with the team.
- A technical screen, in the form of a take home assessment with 1 week to complete.
- An Interview loop with 3-4 interviews (1 hour each) with the team members you will be potentially working with
All interviews will be remote via Google Meets; we are happy to make accommodations you might need to feel comfortable and set up for success in our process.