State Solutions Engineering Director / Manager
San Francisco or Remote (in the U.S.)
Notice: The entire Code for America Staff will be offline from Saturday, November 20th until Sunday November 28th for celebration and recharge with our loved ones. We look forward to responding to you upon return and thanks in advance for your patience and understanding. We hope you have a happy holiday. –CfA’s Talent Acquisition Team
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
We are seeking a State Solutions Engineering Director / Manager to join our Solutions Engineering delivery team. Our cross-functional digital services teams help the government work more effectively and equitably. Code for America’s Solutions Engineering team partners with state and local governments to diagnose and improve the delivery of Social Safety Net services like SNAP, Medicaid and WIC.
The Social Safety Net is one of Code for America’s flagship efforts: it spans our work with the Integrated Benefits Initiative, GetCalFresh, and other national public benefit programs. The easiest way to apply online for food stamps, known as CalFresh in California, is through Code for America’s GetCalFresh service and takes about 10 minutes, offering a great user experience even on low-end mobile phones. GetCalFresh is the core of a set of tools we’re building to address a much bigger problem: enrolling the nearly 2.5 million Californians who are eligible but not receiving benefits, and making the experience orders of magnitude better than the status quo.
In the Integrated Benefits Initiative, we’re working in Minnesota to reduce the time to apply for SNAP, TANF, and Medicaid from 110 minutes to under 20 minutes, and integrating directly with state eligibility systems. Our Safety Net work also includes Pandemic EBT and other rapid response projects, where we built tools and offered support to states ramping up emergency food assistance for students that would normally receive meals at school.
It’s an exciting time for our Safety Net Services team as our work is expanding with an ambitious national strategy, adding product delivery in additional states, creating replicable, scaleable products and consulting with states trying to improve their existing services.
About the Role:
The State Solutions Engineering Manager will help build out our Solutions Engineering delivery team. Over the next five years your team will be responsible for the successful implementation of next-generation safety net services for up to a dozen different states.
You will be working directly with states as part of a cross-functional team implementing and integrating the company’s core platforms and products into existing state infrastructure. As State Solutions Engineering Manager you should have experience managing multiple IT implementation projects, vendor relationships and external systems integrations: especially within, or contracting to, government agencies.
As an early member of our Solutions Engineering team at Code for America you will help us frame the work and define the contours of the role over time.
This position is fully remote, will include up to 20% travel (post-covid) and reports to the Director of Solutions Engineering.
In this position you will:
- Maintain ongoing government IT and vendor relationship throughout the lifecycle of our engagements with the state
- Draft and oversee our technical implementations plans, project schedules and statements of work
- Setup and configure the company’s core safety net product and platform components in state environments
- Integrate with states existing eligibility and case management workflow systems
- Implement / integrate third party or open source software as part of our state solutions
- Assist in documenting and communicating technical best practices and in the framing of government RFPs
- Assist with internal and external documentation around delivery of our state solutions
- 7+ years of experience as a Solutions Engineer or Solutions Architect with experience leading projects and interacting with customers
- Experience with technical relationship and vendor management
- Fast learning curve and capacity to get up to speed in new technologies as needed
- Proven success building and managing technical implementation teams
- Strong self management skills and a proven ability to manage multiple engagements simultaneously
- Tenacity and adaptability; able to navigate relationships and technical challenges and unblock yourself and your team.
- Fundamentally curious and empathetic; able to thoughtfully balance partner, user, and team needs and identify solutions that move the work forward towards greater impact
- Passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them most
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail
- Experience working with or in government
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Prior experience in a similar partner-facing role (Solutions Architect/Engineer, Sales Engineer, Technical Account Manager, etc)
- Personal experience with or professional experience working within the social safety net, or other mission-relevant government services
- Recent devops and systems integration experience
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We extend this to our hiring process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. for all new hires. The salary ranges and target midpoints for this role at our various staff levels are:
- Engineering Manager – Salary range: $139,400 – $188,600 in yearly salary. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we target the median for all new hires. The target midpoint for new hires is $157,850.
- Engineering Director – Salary range: $155,550 – $211,600 in yearly salary. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we target the median for all new hires. The target midpoint for new hires is $176,138.
These ranges and the target are for the San Francisco/ Bay Area market and subject to adjustment for cost of living differentials. The largest cost of living adjustment is 15%.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.