Outschool’s mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We achieve this by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with other classmates who share their passions, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own paths. Our small group classes meet over live video chat with teachers who celebrate their unique strengths and empower all learners to develop confidence and a strong sense of self.
We’re also focused on removing barriers for historically underserved learners who face systemic challenges to their success. In 2020, we started Outschool.org and began offering financial assistance to families in need. We are currently creating an Educator Endowment Fund to appreciate the teachers who are so central to our mission of inspiring kids to love learning.
We believe that diversity drives learning. To meet our mission, we encourage, support, and celebrate different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds. As a fully distributed (remote) team, we challenge one another to find the most effective way to empower learners, teachers, and parents. Your name, race, religion, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and age are not barriers; they are why we want to work with you. We invite talented and creative candidates who value the importance of nurturing a child’s boundless curiosity to join us on this journey.
The pandemic has been challenging for families all over the globe. We acted quickly and worked together to provide quality resources to learners, parents, and teachers in the past year. As communities worldwide rethink their approach to education, Outschool will continue to innovate and provide kids with unique opportunities to explore their passions.
Last year Techcrunch recognized Outschool as the newest EdTech unicorn. We’ve also been named Fast Company’s most innovative EdTech company in the world, and one of the top ten best startups for women from Elpha.
Outschool is looking for a strategic FP&A Lead to join our team as a founding member of our finance team and leader of our FP&A function. We’re looking for a candidate with demonstrated experience shaping organizational KPIs and building financial & operating models that help us measure & predict future performance. You will join Outschool at a stage of significant growth and investment, and will be responsible for building the FP&A structures that enable us to effectively scale our business & our impact.
As FP&A Lead, you’ll work collaboratively with members of every team at Outschool as a strategic finance partner. You’ll lead our budgeting process and help our team to measure performance. You ideally have experience developing comprehensive budgets and an ability to help leaders become more fluent in financial strategy. You’ll also work closely with members of our leadership team to help us measure our impact along financial metrics.
- Lead our company-wide budgeting and forecasting processes in collaboration with our Business Operations team and other stakeholders across the organization
- Build a forward looking financial model that accurately predicts performance and can be used to drive long-term growth
- Develop a suite of financial & operational performance metrics that allow Outschool to scale and grow, including the creation of a suite of KPIs for a complex, multi-sided marketplace
- Work in collaboration with other members of our Finance & Operations team to set up the tools and infrastructure we need to measure performance in real time
- Work with our leadership team to tell both the story of our financial performance and our impact in pursuit of our mission to inspire kids to love learning
- Provide reporting and data-driven insights to our team, board and investors
- Over time, build and lead the financial planning and analysis team at Outschool
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- A track record of building financial and operating models for a growth stage business, a plus if you’ve done so in a marketplace business and can bring a deep understanding of the right KPIs for a consumer facing business
- Demonstrated experience shaping and implementing financial strategies for public and/or private companies
- An aptitude and motivation to frame finances in the context of mission and social impact
- A desire to be hands-on in building the team and FP&A infrastructure from an early stage while always keeping an eye on the big picture
- A track record of building diverse & thriving teams – you’re someone who knows how to identify and hire exceptional talent while creating an environment where people can grow and perform at a high level
- An ability to think differently and the bravery to act on it. You push against the status quo because you see the gap between the opportunities of the future, emerging finance trends and current practices
- Experience providing detailed reports and metrics to leaders, board members and investors to track the performance of the business
- A data-centric mind with an ability to dive deep into the details of our business to make the right judgment calls
- A plus if you have experience and understanding of large-scale online marketplaces or business
- A plus if you have experience at companies with social impact or non-profit divisions
- A plus if you have experience in both B2C and B2B companies
At Outschool, we believe that taking care of one another enables us to do our best work. To us that means:
•Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and investment plans that make saving for retirement easier.
•Health & Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
•PTO & Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
•Fully Distributed: With a team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable weekly meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
•Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
•Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established charities and has committed to donating $3M to Outschool.org non-profit programs.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Outschool is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to neurodiverse individuals, applicants with physical and mental disabilities, and disabled veterans. For individuals who would like to request an accommodation, you may reach out to us at email@example.com or through your Recruiting point of contact as you schedule your initial interview.
Benefits packages are included for full-time employees only.
Full-time employees must be a citizen or legal residents of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.