We’re building for a future where the internet and world economy empowers people through interactions based on consent, privacy, and free association. Where both communities and individuals flourish. To accomplish that, we’re working hard to make web3 accessible for everyone.
MetaMask is both a crypto wallet and a gateway to the decentralized web. Our tools help people create communities, play video games, access financial services, make payments, invest in assets, protect against economic turmoil, and more. Our browser extension and mobile platforms meet the needs of millions of users and developers across the world.
Originally a humble key manager, today MetaMask serves over 30 million monthly active users as a decentralized application development platform, an aggregator of decentralized cryptocurrency exchanges, and a decentralized identity manager.
About the Team
The most fundamental role that MetaMask plays for 30+ million users is to help them manage their private keys and take action with those keys. Our first and most well known strategy for this is the Secret Recovery Phrase (aka the “seed phrase”). MetaMask stores the users SRP on their machine, and from it deterministically generates private keys and accounts.
Our next innovation in this area was integration with hardware wallets. By storing their SRP on external hardware design for this purpose, users are able to be more secure than their machine while enjoying the convenience and UX of MetaMask.
Over the past six months, we have expanded the number of hardware wallets we integrate with and have fixed some long standing pain points in hardware wallet UX. However, the development of account and key management solutions at MetaMask is just getting started.
While our roadmap is always evolving, here are some of the areas of improvement and innovation that this team will bring to MetaMask:
- Adding new account types to MetaMask (e.g. smart contract based accounts, multi-sigs, etc)
- Seed phrase back-up solutions (e.g. cloud-based backups, password manager integrations)
- Hardware wallet UX enhancements (smoother onboarding flows, easier management of multiple hardware devices)
About the Role
We are looking for a senior engineer who would be excited to bring technical leadership to these areas of work and help propose and champion other innovative key management features.
What you’ll do:
- Be passionate about the technical and UX challenges involved in account and key management for a blockchain wallet
- Work on both our mobile and extension products with equal enthusiasm
- Lead technical and architectural decisions related to UI, APIs and modules necessary for MetaMask’s current and future key management solutions
- Improve our key management related code through effective review of pull requests, triaging and analysis of GitHub issues, auditing and refactoring the codebase, and testing
- Lead the technical security assessment of all new account and key management features to ensure MetaMask continues to be an extremely safe experience
- Proactively contribute to team discussions about technical issues, sprint and roadmap planning, and improving team processes
- Be proficient and thoughtful with asynchronous and synchronous communication, giving and receiving feedback, and working independently and with a team
- Support their teammates’ performance and growth
- Be successful working within a fully remote environment
- Bring respect, patience, and empathy to every interaction and relationship with coworkers and the community
- Bring hustle, enthusiasm, heart and a love of shipping code and fixing bugs to their work
Who we’re looking for:
Successful candidates should be used to operating at a senior level, working closely with external engineering stakeholders such as product managers, and leading engineering squad or scrum teams. They should also be proficient, or be able to quickly become proficient, in the following areas:
- Key concepts, protocols and libraries underlying ethereum accounts, keys, transaction signing and message signing
- Architecting and implementing APIs (for servers, services or libraries) in a Node.js context
- Working with both React and React Native, in both desktop browser and mobile development environments
- Some or all of: Node.js streams, Service Workers, generators, Observables, WebSockets
- Browsers and browser APIs
- Front-end build tools: Grunt, Gulp, webpack, or similar
- Testing: unit, integration, end-to-end
- Security engineering
- Involvement in EIP authoring or review processes
- Native mobile engineering (iOS, Android)
- Applied Cryptography
Our mission is to unlock the collaborative power of communities by making Web3 universally easy to use, access, and build on.
Working with ConsenSys puts you at the forefront of an evolving paradigm, transforming our society for the better. We fundamentally believe blockchain is the next generation of technology that can lay the foundation for a more just and equitable society.
Blockchain tech is just over 10 years old. Ethereum itself is still a toddler and we’re far from reaching our full potential. You’ll get to work on the tools, infrastructure, and apps that scale these platforms to billions of users.
You’ll be constantly exposed to new concepts, ideas, and frameworks from your peers, and as you work on different projects — challenging you to stay at the top of your game. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that reaches the edge of our ecosystem. ConsenSys alumni have moved on to become tech entrepreneurs, CEOs, and team leads at tech companies.
Why join ConsenSys? Here are some of the perks of being part of a unique organization like ConsenSys:
One of the most recognized tech companies in the blockchain ecosystem globally. A work experience at ConsenSys is a tremendous reference for your future career. ConsenSys alumni have moved on to become tech entrepreneurs, CEOs, and team leads at tech companies.
The forefront of a revolution. We fundamentally believe blockchain is a next generation of technology that can lay the foundation for a more just and equitable society. You can be a part of building the digital economy of tomorrow and radically transforming our society for the better.
A dynamic startup environment with deep roots. We are one of the earliest blockchain companies and a leader in the space. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that reaches the edge of our ecosystem.
Deep technical challenges. Blockchain technology is just over 10 years old. Ethereum itself is still a toddler. There is much to be done before these platforms can scale to the order of millions or billions of users. We are building the tools, infrastructure and applications l that are pushing the technology forward.
Continuous learning and improvements. You’ll be constantly exposed to new concepts, ideas and frameworks from your peers and as you work on different projects — challenging you to stay at the top of your game.
ConsenSys is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is made available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
ConsenSys is aware of fraudulent recruitment practices and we encourage all applicants to review our best practices to protect yourself which can be found here.
We have a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to make sure we’re looking after you and what matters most.
We believe in ownership and want everyone to have a stake in our future success, that’s why you’ll receive equity when you join us.
Recognized in the blockchain and Web3 ecosystem
Working at ConsenSys is a tremendous reference for your career. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that extends across the global crypto ecosystem.
Continuous learning & opportunities
We provide ongoing growth and development through on-the-job learning, and the ConsenSys Advance Program which includes full access to Coursera, bespoke and technical learning programs and ConsenSys Academy our world-class blockchain and Ethereum program.
We value downtime to recharge and reset, ensuring everyone at ConsenSys has work/life balance. In addition, company-wide we participate in “zero productivity” days to take a break from work, shut down, and sit back and relax.
Flexible working arrangements
With our global workforce we have fine-tuned asynchronous working which means we have a lot of flexibility in the structure of when we work and how we work together.
You’ll be joining a team based all over the world. Providing the unique opportunity to work with people from across 6 continents.