This is a remote position.
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our team of experts from across commercial industry and government brings the modern skills necessary to help agencies transform public services into digital services. Our work enables agencies to meet the needs of their users while closing the gap between consumer expectations and government.
Our Technical Writers are a part of the user experience (UX) team and embed with our Agile teams to collaborate, support, and build. You’ll document APIs, maintain site excellence and consistency and help build foundational content strategy, infrastructure, and processes. As a Technical Writer, you’ll work directly with our government partners and cross-disciplinary delivery teams to help people understand and follow requirements and best practices for building human-centered APIs, applications, and services.
The Technical Writer will produce content for our platform, including API documentation, developer tutorials, platform policies, and blog posts. You will also advise on content for client-approved patient-facing tools, website content strategy, and information architecture.
- Our Federal contracts require that you be a U.S. Citizen to be eligible for employment.
- All work must be conducted within the U.S.
- As a government contractor, all hires may be required to meet additional pre-employment contingencies to the extent required by applicable law, at the time of hire or any time thereafter
What You’ll Do
- Write content for our client’s platform
- Create feedback loops on content and documentation
- Write, edit, and help define best practices for API documentation
- Write and edit developer tutorials, error messages, and blog posts
- Translate complex topics into easy to digest, plain language UI copy
- Collaborate with research and design to develop a persona-driven and use-case-based information architecture approach to organizing site content
What You’ll Bring
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience or equivalent significant accomplishments.
- Obsession with technical accuracy and attention to detail
- Exceptional people, writing, and communication skills, with openness to ideas and feedback from others
- Demonstrated ability to convey complex technical issues to a wide array of audiences
- Basic proficiency in at least one programming language and/or high comfort with REST and RESTful conventions
- Demonstrated understanding of information architecture concepts and how to apply them to things like site maps and organization schemes and structures
- General understanding of product management, design, engineering, and user research, and how they interact
- Ability to be self-directed, prioritizing and managing work with minimal supervision
- Ability to operate at both a tactical and strategic level: equal parts “doer” and big-picture thinker
- 1-2 writing samples, less than 1,000 words each. Samples should be technical writing, documentation of a process, or on the topic of a digital product or service. Preference for seeing at least 1 example of documentation for APIs, SDKs, or similar tools.
- Company-Subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Vanguard 401K Plan
- Unlimited Vacation
- Continuing Education/Annual Conference Attendance
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.