Disruptive Games is a veteran development studio specializing in multiplayer and online experiences. We are an independently owned studio working on a AAA, fully-funded title with original IP!
We’re expanding our fully-remote team with people who share our passion for collaborative, multiplayer gameplay.
We’re looking for a User Interface (UI) Engineer to help us build sleek and efficient user experiences using Unreal Engine’s built-in UI tools (UMG & Slate). You’ll be responsible for building all manner of user interface including but not limited to HUD, frontend, tutorials, and in-game screens. In this role, you will function as the essential link between gameplay logic and the visualization of game state for the user. You’ll have the opportunity to collaborate closely with our User Experience (UX) designers, bringing their vision to life through the synthesis of code and content — writing C++ and working with materials, UMG, and other Unreal technology. You’ll take on the responsibility of surfacing errors and warnings to users to meet the technical requirements across PC and console platforms, ensuring a smooth and intuitive user experience.
What You’ll Do:
- Implement UI elements (traditional and diegetic) across the project to meet design goals using latest techniques available in Unreal Engine.
- Design and implement UI system architecture to create flexible and easy to work with UIs for developers.
- Work heavily in C++ and Blueprints. Enable technical UI designers to build UI without worrying about gameplay business logic and instead allow them to focus on the visual experience.
- Address shortcomings in gameplay logic and implement solutions to provide all necessary UI data and logic.
- Profile and optimize UI system performance to meet budgets for consoles and PC.
- Maintain and improve existing game systems, fixing bugs, and other needs as necessary.
- Implement support for error handling such as network disconnects and user permissions failures to provide a sensible user experience even when things go wrong.
- Provides time estimates to leads and management; keeps co-workers up-to-date on progress of programming work as well as non-programming feature dependencies.
- Participate in feature and code reviews; strong collaborator willing to accept and respond to critical feedback.
What You Bring:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- Professional experience working with Unreal Engine’s UMG and Slate systems.
- Strong working knowledge of subjects such as input routing, UI materials, and UI design patterns.
- Experience building UI with support for gamepad and keyboard mouse.
- Independently recognizes opportunities to improve our games, tools, engine or general workflow, and seeks to make these changes.
- Excellent C++ knowledge and some knowledge of other languages (C#, Shells, etc)
- Working knowledge of 3D math including vectors and matrix transformations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to iterate on features
- Avid gamer, with a passion for multiplayer games; excitement about great UI implementations
- Shipped title(s) in Unreal engine
- Experience building UI materials using Material Graph
- Experience building animations using Unreal’s Sequencer tools
- Experience with multiplayer programming and client/server architecture.
- Experience with multi-threaded systems
- Console development experience
- Experience as a team or group lead
Disruptive Games is a fully remote studio with employees all over the world. Regardless of where you live, we ensure you’re paid a fair market rate. Our salary offers are informed by market compensation data, which takes into account each positions unique job function and your location.
In the United States, the compensation range for this position is typically between $81,000 – $122,000 USD.
United States Employee Perks & Benefits
Health, vision, and dental insurance plans
Generous paid time off and holiday schedule
401(k) with matching contributions
New hire home office set up
Flexible work schedules
Incredible, collaborative team
Engaging virtual office environment
Disruptive Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, interview, and hire people of all backgrounds, orientations, identities, and expressions.