Truss is a software consultancy tackling tough technical and digital service problems for the government and the private sector. We practice and advocate modern design and development practices to build user centered solutions and streamline infrastructure.
We are known for pragmatism, autonomy, expertise, and trust.
We are seeking an empathetic, user-centered, curious, and quick-learning User Experience Designer who wants to have an impact on improving government services and do meaningful work in the private sector. As a Truss User Experience Designer, you will be part of a cross-functional team consisting of at least two senior user experience designers, a product manager, and engineers. We all demonstrate our organizational values while working shoulder to shoulder with our clients—with the group support of the other ~20 designers in Truss’s Design & Research practice. A position with Truss will give you the opportunity to continuously enrich your skills, working in an energetic, yet balanced environment as part of a team of curious, helpful people.
We are currently looking for early to mid career designers with strong interaction design skills and an interest in design systems; front end design skills are a bonus, but not required. This role is targeted to work on one of our Dept of Defense projects and requires you to be a U.S. citizen.
*This position will be open to applications until 12pm Pacific, Friday, October 1, 2021.
What you have:
- Passion for user-centered design and collaborative work
- Working knowledge of design and prototyping tools, and/or front end design skills. Our projects use the U.S. Web Design System (USWDS) React components as the basis for our design libraries, and typically use Figma or Sketch/Invision for design and prototyping.
- Experience creating elegant interaction and user experience design solutions
- Experience conducting research remotely and in-person, and synthesizing your findings to drive next steps
- Interest in consulting work and demonstrating the value of human-centered design
- High level of skill for communicating clearly and listening thoughtfully
- Eagerness to learn, expand your skills, and try new tools
What you will do (with your cross-functional, collaborative team):
- Work closely with senior designers and teammates to understand stakeholder and user needs, define problem space(s), and determine which problems are the right ones to solve
- Sketch concepts, wireframes, and prototypes to find, explore, and test innovative solutions to problems
- Conduct user research and testing to gain a better understanding of user needs and to test solutions
- Participate in product and design discussions with the team
- Collaborate with teammates to create experiences focused on user needs
- Design with accessibility and inclusivity in mind
- In pre-covid times, travel onsite to conduct user research, meet with coworkers, and attend major client meetings, approximately every couple of months. Given the conditions of the ongoing pandemic almost all of this is conducted online, with occasional exceptions. Your safety and health at this time is paramount.
- Be human together to enrich our days and enjoy working together as a team
The salary range for this role is: $ 124,500 – $ 152,500.
We value inclusion and welcome diverse viewpoints. We encourage all interested candidates to apply! For this particular role, you must be a U.S. citizen.
** A note from Truss: We know you’re likely experiencing a lot of disruption as our nation (and our world) responds to COVID-19 and other events – we’re experiencing it, too. During video interviews, you’ll likely see more of our human side. Family members, partners, kids and pets are home with some of us! We promise to be present and engaged, but we may be a little…harried. It’s OK if you are, too – we understand that everyone is experiencing extra stress right now. If you have any questions along the way, please let us know, and stay healthy and safe. **