MO helps government leaders achieve their mission by designing intuitive and sustainable customer experiences that build trust and improve satisfaction. We use human-centered design to modernize and transform customer and employee experiences. We’re a small team of interdisciplinary creatives with mission, impact, and service to others deeply rooted in our DNA. We’re naive enough to believe we can change the world and bold enough to take the chance to do it.
We combine design thinking with agile delivery methods to drive visionary, human-centered products to market. Our custom solutions range in size from completely revamping an entire application to refreshing small pieces of a larger product. Everyone at MO directly impacts the direction and success of the company, and we own our roles. We value integrity, curiosity, and courage, and we operate collaboratively and with accountability while consistently challenging each other in the pursuit of excellence. At MO, we delight in creating one-of-a-kind products and experiences. Your imagination is the only limit on what you can do here!
Are you looking to make an impact? We are looking for a UX Designer to support our client at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), which is focused on modernizing the digital health experience for the largest health care system in the nation from a REMOTE location. This role will focus on developing product-driven approaches to support our work with VA and across government. If you have experience integrating human centered design practices into the deployment of impactful, scalable digital services we’d love to hear from you.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team of product managers, engineers and designer / researchers to deliver positive, accessible and impactful user experiences.
- Using relevant human centered design methods, develop and lead approaches to discovery that establish research objectives, directly involve users, and provide stakeholders with a deeper understanding of the environment (and its opportunities and constraints) as well as the key problems to solve.
- Design, test and rapidly iterate on prototypes to evaluate assumptions with users, demonstrate fixes for their issues, and get us closer to the envisioned service delivery state.
- Create deliverables that drive the product vision, using a mix of design systems, research findings, wireframes, sitemaps, flowcharts, storyboards, and user stories, personas and journey maps.
- Participate in peer reviews with other designers and provide / receive direct and actionable feedback that empowers continuous learning and improvement.
- Proactive capturing of user insights, design opportunities, and translation into documentation of user stories and product requirements.
- Commit to inclusive and accessible product designs and builds.
What We’re Looking For
- 6+ years of design experience in a team environment who has experience contributing to complex digital service projects and navigating stakeholder relationships.
- 2+ years experience working in a fully remote team environment or remote freelancing.
- Senior-level digital Product Designer adept at simplifying complex processes into user-friendly workflows and interfaces.
- Ability to integrate and collaborate across design research, product management, and engineering disciplines to identify priorities and create a shared understanding as it relates to the UX and broader product direction.
- Strong understanding of information architecture.
- Experience using modern design platforms, tools and working in design systems (such as Sketch, Figma, Mural), agile methodologies, and toolsets such as GitHub and Backlog management tools to create user stories.
- Experience with prototyping at different levels of fidelity and using the right tool to drive the project forward, from card sorts, to paper / hand drawn wireframes, to mid and higher fidelity digital prototyping.
- Fluent in accessibility standards and ability to design according to established design systems.
- Experience conducting usability test sessions and evaluative feedback sessions.
- Excellent ability to communicate to and collaborate with project stakeholders and SMEs to establish support and buy-in as part of product decision-making and direction setting.
- Proficiency as a designer who can draw upon a breadth and depth of experience in at least four of the following capabilities: user research, UX, interaction design, service design, visual design, content design, design systems, user testing, and/or UI.
- A consultative approach with an ability to understand client expectations, work as a team, and be accountable for delivering against user needs.
- Advocacy for using human centered design methodologies and practices to ensure accessibility.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams of product managers, engineers and designers/researchers to ensure deployments map to user needs, and desired product outcomes.
- Strong communication, collaboration and problem solving skills.
- A growth mindset and love of learning both new ideas and ways of working, architecting radically collaborative environments that drive behaviors needed to transform experiences, and a willingness to ask for help early and often.
- An empathetic approach to conversations with users, clients, partners and MO team members.
- Nice to have: experience working on federal government systems (VA experience preferred).
MO’s Employee Value Proposition
- A fun, dynamic working environment with an energetic and diverse team
- A REMOTE first work environment
- An inclusive culture where everyone is welcome
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Opportunities for career growth
- Full health benefits (85% medical premiums for employees and dependents, dental, vision)
- 401K plan unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Short- and Long-Term Disability in addition to Life Insurance (company sponsored)
All MO leaders are expected to lead with humility, embody our core values in their leadership, and to hold their team accountable to the same. MO leaders are expected to ensure we are always growing by tackling hard problems, being strategic, and learning from others.
The starting pay range for this role is $114,000 – $122,000. In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, MO’s job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we’ve outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility.
MO is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all interested candidates to apply. If you have more experience beyond what is detailed here, we’d be happy to take a look. If you meet most but not all of the requirements, we still want to hear from you.
This application will remain open until filled.