We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Dear future Bench design leader,
Finance is inseparable from the human experience. Our personal finances influence our mental and physical wellbeing, where we live, our education, our family structures, and the opportunities we do or do not have. For a small business owner, there is no distinction between their business finances and their personal finances. If their business makes money, they get to eat. If it doesn’t, they don’t. Working at a Bench isn’t about fintech; it’s about making a difference in the quality of life of human beings.
Unfortunately, the state of finance is currently anti-human. Obtuse jargon. Draconian rules that constantly change. It’s kafkaesque. Did you file all your 1099’s properly? How about your W2’s? Are you an S-Corp or an LLC? Did you remember to apply for your EIN? How about PPP? I hope you didn’t oops anything, or the denizens of the IRS shall unmercifully render terrible judgment.
And now that you’ve run that first gauntlet, are you sure you’re actually making money? How much? How do you know? Are you sure you properly added and compared the numbers from your Shopify, Amazon, Paypal, Square, Amex, Debit card, and payroll? Did you remember to add in those 3 purchases you accidentally made on your personal card? Don’t forget that one thing you Venmo’d last month.
The magic of Bench is that we take all these things and disappear them for you. Put in your credit card, and poof, you are now protected from this underworld of terrifying initialisms and obscure maths.
There’s much brain sweat that goes into that “and poof.” The “poof” is delivered through a thoughtfully designed combination of service and software. That thoughtful combination requires thoughtful design and engineering, dreamed up and conjured into existence by incredible humans. Incredible humans need incredible leaders. That’s where you come in.
We need someone who will build a world class design team, collaborate shoulder to shoulder with other leaders across our business, and bring this dream of Bench to life for millions of people.
Design matters. Love and respect for great design has been imprinted on the culture of Bench from day 1 by the founding team. Now Bench is growing and the level of leadership and expertise we need in Design is growing too. As product and engineering at Bench grow rapidly, we need to pair them with a design organization that infuses Bench with exceptional competence in usability, IA, visual aesthetics, and UX. This role will be the most senior design leadership role at Bench, responsible for setting the quality bar for design across talent, technology, and processes.
If that sounds like the kind of difference you want to make for people, please get in touch!
Ian Crosby, Co-founder and CEO
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- A thirst for our mission and principles.
- Good taste.
- Good thoughts about how to build a world class design organization. Really good thoughts.
- Those really good thoughts are informed by your experience either working in a world class design team at a tech company or digital agency, or founding your own.
- The pragmatism, leadership and drive to turn those really good thoughts into really good reality.
- The ability to recognize the importance of engineering, product management, and operational points of view, and the willingness to partner those viewpoints with great design to create incredible outcomes for the end customer.
- The willingness to build design processes in step with our product development methodology.
- You actively engage in leadership of teams and of strategic-level work with an equity lens and an eye for inclusivity. You don’t just accept equitable practices, you model and advocate for them on your teams and in your work.
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- In addition to stock options and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision, this role pays an annual base salary $330-415k CAD salary ($264-$332k USD) depending on experience.
- All Benchmates have access to Inkblot Therapy, our virtual counselling service to support mental wellbeing, and Bravely, our confidential, on-demand, 1:1 professional coaching service.
- Our office has gone fully remote! We’ll set you up with everything you need to work from home, from day one. Although you’ll need to be able to travel to Vancouver regularly once it’s possible to do so.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation