Clay is carefully designed to help you be more thoughtful with people.
Almost everyone intuitively understands the importance (and positive impact) of thoughtfulness towards others—in fact, you’ve probably benefited from someone else’s thoughtfulness recently! However, it’s difficult, effort intensive, and time consuming to be conscientious all the time. We wanted a more streamlined and sustainable approach for thoughtfully keeping in touch with our ever-growing network. And after searching and searching for something better, we built it ourselves.
We believe that Clay is the most stunning, powerful, and beautiful way to remember who you’ve met—and what matters to them. We’re grateful that our mission has resonated with a passionate user base and prominent investors like General Catalyst and Forerunner Ventures, and we are eager to carry it forward. We’d be honored to have you join us.
Clay is a beautiful and private home for all the people and relationships in your life.
After you link your accounts (email, calendar, LinkedIn, Twitter, iMessage, and more), Clay automatically builds a collection of everyone you know, creating a beautiful profile for each relationship. Clay populates photos, bios, education and work history, location, and social profiles automatically from available data, and keeps them updated over time.
Clay then helps you deepen your relationships by allowing you to find anyone with powerfully simple search, take notes from your latest conversation, set reminders for specific dates, see when a contact changes their LinkedIn or Twitter bio, be notified when a contact is mentioned in the news, and much more.
As one of Clay’s early web engineers, you’ll be able to work across a number of tools and services to ensure that Clay’s web and desktop apps are best in class. You’ll work closely with a stellar team of passionate, experienced engineers, designers and others who love building great products.
Our current frontend stack is a server-rendered React app that leverages Redux and RxJS, written in TypeScript. Our desktop app is built with an Electron wrapper. We use Python on the backend, with our server infrastructure running on Kubernetes and other hosted & self-hosted services in Google Cloud.
- 3+ years of experience building user-facing software
- Familiar with modern JS and CSS features
- Experience with React
- Knowledge of optimizing browser rendering performance
- Track record of navigating the tradeoffs between “building for speed to value” vs. “building for durability” in order to ship successful products and features
- Familiar with browser and device idiosyncrasies (and potentially familiar with Electron app idiosyncrasies)
- Great communication skills. You can articulate and defend your decision making processes while still being open to being convinced differently by a teammate.
- Interested in visual design and UX. You are able to think through the nuances of UX and fill in the gaps between a beautiful design file and a polished finished product.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience building and maintaining text editors
- TypeScript experience, or experience with some other strongly typed flavor of JS
- Experience working with Electron to add native features to a web app
- Know enough to be dangerous with vector graphics (SVG and/or canvas) and web animation
- Experience building productivity tools, or an interest in building productivity tools
What you can expect to accomplish in your first 6 months:
- Collaborate with designers and other engineers to create elegant, best in class user experiences and features
- Contribute to building Clay’s overall engineering processes and defining “best practices.” Help Clay set code and team process standards that will guide us moving forward.
- Contribute to the direction of the Clay product (e.g. suggesting new product/feature ideas, investigating leveraging new technologies, etc.)
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent health and wellness benefits to help you stay at your best: 100% covered medical, dental, vision for you + 50% for spouse/dependents; One Medical membership; Kindbody Fertility (dependents included); Talkspace membership; Teladoc Virtual Health
- 8 week paid parental leave
- Generous paid vacation: Minimum of 20 days of paid time off to use however you like (vacation, national holidays, etc.)
- Education stipend: You’ll have a monthly budget to buy books, courses, and other resources you need to continue learning and developing
- Company sponsored 401k plan
- $500 work from home allowance to use on building out a workspace
- Best in class software/tools: Superhuman, Linear, Notion, etc.
- We’re a small, yet growing, team that moves fast and ships new products continuously, and you have a huge opportunity to shape Clay (ha!) from systems architecture to how we celebrate team wins. Our culture is defined but it’s not definitive, and we’re looking for smart, hardworking and passionate people to be culture adds at Clay. We offer team building activities on Fridays, and (when safe to travel) all-inclusive team offsites.
- You have the opportunity to work with a team of best-in-class engineers who know how to run across their stack and architect beautiful products
- We champion individual ownership, self-starters, and personal growth on and off the job. We’re a tight knit team that celebrates each other’s wins and improves one another through the losses