We’re in the middle of a behavioral health crisis that we can’t ignore, especially not when it comes to our children. 1 in every 5 children has a behavioral health condition, yet up to 80% still get little or no help. Far too many families face insurmountable barriers when their child really needs help, and parents are too often left feeling alone and without the support they need. We can do so much better. That’s why we’re here!
Brightline is on a mission to build a bright future for every child, bringing extraordinary behavioral health care to children, teens, and their families. We’re convening a team of leading clinicians, technologists, business leaders, and creative thinkers to completely transform what behavioral health care looks like. Together, we’re building exceptional technology and real-world care to bring a warm, supportive, and goal-oriented experience to families. And we’re all here to help children and families thrive.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced Accounting Director / Assistant Controller who will plan, direct, and coordinate the accounting operations of the company as well as maintain the company’s systems of accounts, books and records for all transactions and assets – conducting and overseeing the operations of the accounting department. We are a start-up with ambitious growth plans but right now this is an individual contributor role. Between yourself and support on certain items from our Business Operations Manager, the Accounting Director will do ALL aspects of the job first-hand until our revenue justifies expansion of the team.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, this individual will partner closely with other leaders spanning Clinical, Product, Engineering, Marketing, Sales, and Clinical Operations to ensure appropriate reporting and compliance infrastructure is in place.
- Lead the monthly financial close activities for multiple entities, including technical accounting and operations related journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Prepare financial reporting information for monthly results with the CFO, the leadership team and the Board.
- Conduct all aspects of the AP process using bill.com and corporate credit cards
- Develop and execute each month on billing processes
- Develop and maintain accounting policies and procedures
- Ensuring successful completion of the company’s tax filings
- Planning, budgeting and authorizing expenditures
- Assist the CFO with maintenance of the financial forecast model following month-end close
- Analyze, optimize and implement effective internal controls across all aspects of the organization
- Constantly identify and improve close processes to accelerate close timelines and increase efficiency
- Manage key people operations / payroll functions including review, approval and appropriate controls, benefits oversight, and compliance
Other duties as assigned in this role will be substantial as we are a start-up – this individual will be asked to help on projects that may be loosely or tangentially related to accounting as the company grows: Key near-term projects include:
- Transition current day-to-day accounting from the outsourced fractional CFO organization
- Work with implementation vendor to migrate financials from Quickbooks to Netsuite
- Support implementation of Salesforce and integration with Netsuite
- Work with key partners to implement proper automated accounting for cash pay clients and stand up claims and employer billing processes in an automated fashion. Create reconciliation processes for each and conduct those regularly.
- Support the expansion of the company to a nationwide footprint with multiple physician practice entities
- Research key corporate practice of medicine accounting rules and regulations and ensure they are full implemented within the company
- Following Netsuite conversion, document key accounting processes
- Stand up a fixed asset / computer tracking system linked with fixed asset accounting
- Partner with Business Operations Manager to analyze all key cross-functional business operations processes and improve automation and efficiency across the organization
Must have requirements are:
- A passion for our mission to redefine behavioral health for children and their families
- BS or higher in Accounting or Finance
- 10+ years of accounting experience in a high-growth technology and/or healthcare company
- Netsuite: You must have used Netsuite extensively and have intimate, hands-on knowledge of it
- Have previously led an accounting department as Controller, Assistant Controller, Director of Accounting or equivalent
- Experience with both individual contributor accounting roles as well as leadership positions
- History of implementing automated, efficient processes across a geographically diverse company
- An absolute comfort level with being an individual contributor whose day-to-day work will span all aspects of accounting operations
- Aptitude to learn new technologies
- Outstanding written and verbal communication
Preferred requirements are:
- CPA certification
- Big 4 CPA firm (or regional equivalent) experience
- Preference given to candidates that have grown with a start-up from early stage to mid-life and has a track record of building new processes as the company expands
- Experience with multiple entities and, in particular, nationwide practice of medicine
- Experience with a conversion to Netsuite
- Knowledge of Salesforce and bill.com
The Brightline team is headquartered in the SF Bay Area and the CFO is based remotely in Colorado. Applicants at either location will be given preference but remote candidates with the right skills will be considered.
Brightline is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants from every background and life experience to apply.