Outschool’s mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We achieve this by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with other classmates who share their passions, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own paths. Our small group classes meet over live video chat with teachers who celebrate their unique strengths and empower all learners to develop confidence and a strong sense of self.
We’re also focused on removing barriers for historically underserved learners who face systemic challenges to their success. In 2020, we started Outschool.org and began offering financial assistance to families in need. We are currently creating an Educator Endowment Fund to appreciate the teachers who are so central to our mission of inspiring kids to love learning.
We believe that diversity drives learning. To meet our mission, we encourage, support, and celebrate different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds. As a fully distributed (remote) team, we challenge one another to find the most effective way to empower learners, teachers, and parents. Your name, race, religion, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and age are not barriers; they are why we want to work with you. We invite talented and creative candidates who value the importance of nurturing a child’s boundless curiosity to join us on this journey.
The pandemic has been challenging for families all over the globe. We acted quickly and worked together to provide quality resources to learners, parents, and teachers in the past year. As communities worldwide rethink their approach to education, Outschool will continue to innovate and provide kids with unique opportunities to explore their passions.
Earlier this year, Techcrunch recognized Outschool as the newest EdTech unicorn. We’ve also been named Fast Company’s most innovative EdTech company in the world, and one of the top ten best startups for women from Elpha.
We are an effective team of fully remote engineers distributed across the US and Canada. Our philosophy is to start small and then intentionally iterate to test our assumptions and learn quickly (we call this Remixing Our Work, one of our cultural values). We’re iteratively building up a complex product for a highly engaged audience, getting a lot done by staying focused on the work that matters. We’re now looking to build mobile applications for our learners, parents, and teachers, and are excited to bring on an Android native developer to help determine the future of Android mobile engineering at Outschool and help deliver our first generation of native apps.
We have a modern API/backend stack: GraphQL/Apollo for API layer, and Node/Express backed by PostgreSQL. We are looking for our Android engineer to help us build out our Android mobile stack.
We believe the future of education is hybrid — online and in person. We are looking for engineers at various experience levels excited about inspiring children to learn by building tools that allow children to access a fundamentally different learning experience.
- Design and implement the stack Outschool uses to develop Android mobile apps based on modern best practices
- Collaborate closely with Product and Design to build engaging features and experiences for learners
- Identify opportunities to use native mobile capabilities to enable new features
- Work cross-functionally across Engineering pods and other departments
- Ensure speed and quality by developing modern pipelines for building, testing, deployment, and monitoring of mobile applications
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- 8+ years of software development experience
- 5+ years modern Android development experience, recent projects in Kotlin
- Implement pixel perfect UI/UX with advanced animations
- Experience working with GraphQL APIs and ability to extend them
- Using and introducing latest Android development best practices
- Proven ability in peer-to-peer collaboration via pairing, documentation, and knowledge sharing
- Track record of ownership of technical projects
- Ability to write clean, readable code that performs at scale
- Previous experience in startups, especially edtech
- Passion for learning and education
- Have something to teach us
- Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and investment plans that make saving for retirement easier.
- Health & Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
- PTO & Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
- Fully Distributed: With a team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable weekly meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
- Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
- Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established charities and has committed to donating $3M to Outschool.org non-profit programs.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Outschool is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to disabled veterans and applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.