As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience’s daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
We’re looking for an Art Director who can complement The Verge’s impactful journalism with powerful visual storytelling.
The Verge regularly covers stories about technology, its creators, science, and the entertainment that’s driven by technology. We are looking for an Art Director who will provide arresting, original, and expressive design solutions for daily posts, feature stories, and special projects for multiple sections.
The right candidate will work closely within The Verge’s art team to help manage and maintain the day-to-day visual standards, while also working on large, ambitious projects and branding — everything from creating and commissioning powerful illustrations and photography to helping writers select the right layouts and images for their stories to collaborating with a small team to build ambitious and interactive features.
- Creative and curious, always thinking of how to best tell stories online in innovative ways.
- A self-starter who is excited to take on the next project, no matter how big or small.
- Multitasker who enjoys creative problem-solving and collaboration.
- Passionate about storytelling in digital media, from an Instagram story to an interactive feature.
- Genuine admirer of digital art and new formats.
What you’ll do:
- Come up with creative and compelling ways to tell complex stories visually.
- Select, brief, and direct the work of outside collaborators.
- Create cutting-edge layouts and interactive stories.
- Collaborate with a team of incredible digital artists.
- Delegate work based on the art team’s workload and abilities.
What you’ll bring:
- Solid experience working in design, illustration, photography, and digital media.
- A love for focusing on the details and knowing when a project is complete.
- Fluency in the Adobe Creative Suite.
- The ability to do everything from telling a story from a single image to a photo essay to keeping a package of stories visually cohesive.
- A desire to explore new creative art styles and formats.
This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.