At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 4 million people use our first product, Fresh EBT, to manage government benefits on their EBT card, save money, and earn income. Read more about the impact of Fresh EBT here, here, and here. Now we’re expanding further into the financial services space by building new products that help our users manage the other aspects of their financial lives.
As an Associate Data Scientist, you’ll play a key role in fulfilling this mission by using data to smoothly launch one of the fastest growing financial products of all time. You’ll become the eyes and ears of our operations team, helping our team function smoothly and conducting data-driven investigations while creating compelling recommendations to guide our product and business roadmap.
You’ll also play a crucial role in fostering a data and experimentation-driven culture at Propel. You’ll make our teams more effective by collaborating cross-functionally to ensure the data we need is organized, clean, and reliable, and work closely with our operations team to build the data-driven tools they need to work efficiently.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or other government benefits.
- Immediate opportunity to make an impact
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn (remote work through at least mid 2021)
What you’ll do
- Partner with operations, product, engineering, and other stakeholders to provide compelling insights and recommendations from data
- Build queries and dashboards to create more visibility into our operational and product health across the company
- Collaborate with design and research to provide a quantitative lens on our understanding of our users across a variety of topics, ranging from the impact of Covid to their use of financial products
- Define metrics that we should be tracking and take ownership over ensuring the right data to power these metrics is clean, available, and well structured by managing database design
- Lead experimentation by designing A/B tests and other experiments and owning the statistical analysis of their impact
What you have
- Strong skills in SQL
- Strong skills in data visualization
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to synthesize and distill complex information into the right takeaways for different audiences
- Strong attention to detail to make sure our data is clean and accurate
- Ability to be entirely self-directed when necessary, and generally comfortable with some degree of autonomy
- Exposure to Python or R and data science packages
- Familiarity with A/B testing, experimentation, and statistical analysis