As a backend engineer at Plex, you will work on a distributed, cross-functional team to build backend services that power our streaming platform. You will help people find and enjoy movies and shows that they love.
What you’ll do
- You will help new and returning users find and discover the content they love.
- You will be responsible for designing, building and deploying services that provide the best experience for catalog browsing, content discovery, search and personalization.
- You will collaborate closely with product owners and designers to explore new ways of surfacing and promoting relevant and interesting content.
- You will work closely with our team of client engineers who are focused on building engaging experiences using the content discovery services.
- You will partner with other engineers from our cloud services teams to establish our backend standards and to integrate with our metadata and recommendations services.
What you bring to the table
- You have at least 3 years of relevant experience building large-scale backend services.
- You know how to write distributed, high-volume services in Node.js and TypeScript.
- You have experience with databases at scale and some experience with MongoDB in particular.
- Experience with Elasticsearch and optimizing search results is a plus.
- You are familiar with engineering best practices such as testing, continuous integration and continuous delivery.
- You care about code quality and are committed to writing strongly typed, well-tested code.
- You are detail-oriented and focus on delivering seamless, reliable experiences.
- You are kind, humble, helpful and get stuff done.
- You are self motivated and able to manage your time, working with a distributed team across the globe.
- You believe in asking for help and helping others when they ask, never throwing a problem over the wall.
- You are hungry to have an impact, continuously working to improve our product, process and push the team to be its best.
Who we are
Plex is a global streaming media platform that gives millions of customers around the world the freedom to enjoy all the content they love in one simple, beautiful app. Our vision is to empower real human connection by bringing people and entertainment together. So, we’re on a mission to create a global community for streaming content that people can depend on to easily discover, experience, and share all of the entertainment that matters to them.
- Plex hires new team members in countries around the world.
- As such, Plex does not sponsor employment visas.
- All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our hiring team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
- Also, please note, though we largely work asynchronously, as it relates to meetings, those generally occur between UTC 1600 to UTC 1900
The Plex Values
- Be kind, humble, and helpful.
- Approach problems with curiosity, creativity, and flexibility.
- Put yourself on the customer’s couch.
- Be a good steward. Like a boss!
- Build relationships to ensure healthy debate.
- Foster a global and diverse team spirit.
- Show gratitude and give back.
- Seek balance for yourself and Plex.
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Flexible paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Hardware stipend
- Flextime, work from anywhere
- Comprehensive health insurance (medical/dental/vision) (US employees)
- Stock options
- 401k (US employees)
- Plex for the Planet community service opportunities
Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
- At Plex, we get our people together at least twice a year to help forge connections and build deeper relationships all while having an awesome time. As such, Plex has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, subject to legally required disability or religious accommodations, for all in person events. Please note, these events are optional.
Sound interesting? We’re looking for a software engineer who is ready to join us to have a material impact in Plex’s growth and success.
Plex is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.