We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Our mission is to make a profound difference in the quality of life of one million people, by removing the financial complexity of entrepreneurship. Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between doing their books and running their businesses.
Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of their hands. Learn more about us on our About page.
We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it’s like to work at Bench!
What does the Quality Team look like?
The Quality Team has one purpose: to permanently improve the quality of Bench’s bookkeeping. Achieving this objective will ensure every Bench client receives financials that meet our high bookkeeping standards, and Associates across Operations are supported in their ongoing learning and development.
You’ll be a good fit for the Quality Team if you’re ready for the next stage of your own learning and development. You’ll be a great fit if you strive to make the Associates around you better through honest feedback and thoughtful communication. You’ve come to recognize that the only way for our clients to receive great books, is to have great Associates completing those books and knowledgeable Associates reviewing those books.
We’re a team of curious Benchmates who relish encountering a new bookkeeping challenge. You will be asked to develop your bookkeeping and accounting knowledge to the point where you can help any Associate with any bookkeeping issue.
The Quality team reviews all Bench clients several times a year, including completing year-end reviews during tax season. We see it all, we strive to improve it all, and we always assume best intentions when sharing feedback with others.
- Communicating feedback to bookkeepers on the books you’re reviewing in a concise and plain-spoken manner.
- Identifying themes of common issues or errors that you see while reviewing and communicating the pain-point you’ve seen to others on the Quality Team.
- Providing input on projects that affect how you work in your day-to-day or the affect how the average Operations Associate works in their day-to-day.
- Completing reviews is the main task we ask you to do. You’ll be completing a wide variety of reviews: MERs, YERs, CU reviews, Pro reviews, and possibly even YEFs. Completing reviews is what you do, but the purpose of the role is to ensure our clients are receiving high quality books and provide feedback to associates.
- Bookkeeping Knowledge: Excited by numbers, simple math, or problem-solving and are content with repeat, detailed work. Accounting or finance background is an asset
- Attention to Detail: Incredible attention to detail combined with a sense of urgency to get constructive feedback to as many Associates as possible
- People focused Attitude: An open-minded and team-oriented attitude to work with fellow Quality Team members and the desire to support all of Operations.
- Independence: The ability to work independently, but still ask for support when needed.
- All Benchmates have access to Inkblot Therapy, our virtual counselling service to support mental wellbeing, and Bravely, our confidential, on-demand, 1:1 professional coaching service.
- All Associates joining the team will start at a base salary of $42,300. From there, with the Tax Season Bonus and Variable Pay, the On Target Earnings (OTE) for the role is $48,300- pro-rated to the length of your contract.
- This position also offers an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
- Our office is currently fully remote, so we’ll set you up with everything you need to work from home, from day one.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.