CareerPlug empowers others to reach their potential, in part by making it easier for our clients to hire and develop the right people. Our vision is leading us along an exciting path to accomplish much more. We provide innovative recruiting and HR software for over 12,000 growing companies. Our applicant tracking and retention platforms help companies make better hires to have the right people in place to build a successful business.
We believe that people are the heart of our business and are committed to building one of the best places to work — anywhere. To us, that means putting care and purpose into our hiring process, providing meaningful development and training opportunities for our team members, and living our core values every day.
CareerPlug is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse team. Our leadership takes responsibility for creating a safe and welcoming environment built on inclusion and respect for all.
What we’re looking for:
We’re looking for a VP of Product, Engineering to own, shape and shepherd our most important strategic resource: a winning product strategy, supported by the delivery of reliable, healthy products. You will lead our UX, engineering, and QA functions at CareerPlug. Sitting on the Executive team, you will report directly to the President of CareerPlug.
In your role as the VP of Product, Engineering, you’re a company leader, not just a product leader. You will ensure that the entire company understands the vision and direction for the product. This is a shared responsibility with other executives, but you have a unique responsibility to communicate and reinforce that strategy across teams. You will lead, manage, and hold accountable the UX, engineering and QA team members, developing next-level leaders, processes, and a culture to support a thriving organization that is one of the Best Places to Work.
The product organization currently includes thirteen team members.
Engineering: A team of eight, led by our Engineering Manager.
QA: A team of three, led by our QA Manager
Product Design: A team of two (soon to be three), led by our Manager of Product Experience.
Who you are:
You are an experienced product leader who is passionate about excellent product development through the convergence of highly productive and quality shaping, design, engineering and QA functions. You are open-minded, quick to listen first, and trust those around you to provide critical information about their work so that you can guide and coach to an ideal outcome. You are a servant leader who prioritizes the needs of your teams first and foremost, allowing them to be key players in solving problems and improving processes. Your goal is to succeed through others and develop your teams to be highly valuable contributors to the product offering and business health.
You have a proven product leadership background, but can also represent your teams as a technical voice at the executive level. When you don’t know the right solution, you are quick to seek outside input and wisdom from other subject matter experts. You are also highly attracted to the Shape Up approach to product development we’ve adopted and have significant interest in continually refining our execution of this approach.
- Lead the CareerPlug UX, Engineering, & QA teams
- Represent the UX, Engineering, & QA teams at the executive level to set the strategic direction of the product
- Shape our product strategy, bringing clear direction and alignment with our Vision
- Translate product strategy into requirements and clear deliverables
- Develop a product organization that can design and deliver quality products and features
- Deeply understand customer needs and industry trends
- Partner with all teams to bring innovative solutions for our clients
- Consolidate client and internal feedback into actionable product pitches
- Facilitate the creation and maintenance of proper product documentation
- Influence and report performance metrics to measure the effectiveness of the entire Product org
- Support CareerPlug’s data literacy efforts
- Participate in vendor purchases and tech stack decisions across the company
- Proven ability to lead/manage a product organization, including engineering team
- Experience working with executive teams to set and deliver on product strategy
- Ruby on Rails experience preferred
- Bonus: Familiarity with the Shape Up product development process
Compensation: This role pays an annual base rate of $200K, with an additional $25K in bonus potential.
- Work from home (we’re fully remote)
- Employer Paid Health Insurance
- Unlimited PTO (with minimums!)
- Home Office Stipend
- 401(k) Company Match
- Donation Matching
CareerPlug made the decision to be a Remote First company, forever, in the summer of 2020 after working remotely for months due to COVID-19. We know the heart of our business is wherever our employees work — from our space in Austin, to a home office on Lake Michigan, to an outfitted van exploring the American West (true story!). Read our full Remote First Vision.
“My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together.” —Desmond Tutu
We have a fierce commitment to living out our core values at CareerPlug. It’s what shapes our culture and community, and shows up in a resolve to be inclusive, and therefore, anti-racist.
We know that racism can be intentional or unintentional, but its existence is dehumanizing to everyone it touches. Our promise is to purposefully identify, discuss, and challenge issues of systemic racism and unconscious bias and the impacts they have on our company and our people. We’ve always fostered a culture of communicating openly, but we know we can continue to do better. We will challenge ourselves to understand and correct inequities and create a “best place to work” for every employee.
We choose to participate in this conversation and affirm our identity as an anti-racist company. We hope you will join us.