Elastic is a free and open search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real-time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co.
Engineering a highly complex distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed components and APIs is a non-trivial effort. It requires solid software development skills, and more importantly, a sharp mind and the ability to think like a user. We also care deeply about giving you full ownership of what you’re working on. Our company fundamentally believes great minds achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers, which is clearly visible in our organization. We feel that anyone needs to be in a position to comment on truly anything, regardless of his or her role within the company.
About The Role
You will be responsible for technical design and work in several functional areas of Elastic’s Cloud offerings. You will lead by example and should participate in coding, debugging complex failure scenarios, and triaging bugs. You’ll analyze the current system, it’s strength and limitations. You will participate in roadmap and project planning efforts and will have ownership for delivering it. You’ll be participating in project management efforts as the teams execute on plans, and you’ll have a role in communicating progress and status to stakeholders.
Some of the things you’ll work on
- Guide cross-team designs and help create a Cloud-wide high level architecture
- Support Area Leads in building roadmap (up to 3 months) in the future for their Area
- Ownership for technical quality of the code (design, test, etc) across multiple Areas, and provides feedback to the team to align the team with development processes
- Provide technical leadership across several functional areas in the team like Kubernetes, Docker Orchestration, Stack features integration, and more
- Combine Elastic’s products (Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats, Machine Learning…) with cloud management technologies (Kubernetes, Docker…) to create reliable and scalable Cloud solutions for customers
- Work on a global scale, with all the major Cloud hosting providers: AWS, GCP, Azure, IBM Cloud etc.
- Build scalable solutions to deliver the best customer experience
- Contribute to technical plans and direction within Cloud and across other product teams in Elastic
- Understand our company strategy and help translating it into technical terms and guide our Cloud product’s direction to realise it
- Create technical designs and build POCs for new efforts, validating a wild idea works before committing to it
- Work with a distributed team of engineers from all across the globe
- Be hands on with the codebase. Review work done in the team, and provide constructive feedback
- Help the team define coding practices and standards
What you will bring along
- Strong technical skills in, and understanding of Kubernetes, (DockerSwarm or Mesosphere are a plus)
- Previous experience providing pragmatic technical leadership for a group of engineers
- Previous experience in a role with ownership for technical direction and strategy, preferably in a start-up or scale-up environment
- Previous experience working with stakeholders outside of Engineering
- Proven experience as a software engineer, with a track record of delivering high quality code, preferably in Go or Java
- Ability to communicate well with individuals and groups to accomplish a common set of goals
- Technical depth in one or more technologies relevant for SaaS (orchestration, networking, docker, etc.)
Additional Information – We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving – We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.