What you will do
As a Controller at Timescale🐯, you will be responsible for implementing automated, accurate, and timely financial reporting, accounting practices, and controls for customers, team members, and vendors. You will partner with Tech teams to connect various internal and external databases and institute controls at each touchpoint to ensure accurate reporting. 💥 As a Controller, you will report to the CFO.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Leading, managing, and developing the Accounting function at Timescale.
- Overseeing overall system of accounts, books and records on all company transactions.
- Supervising day-to-day operational tasks including monthly close, account reconciliations, receivables and payables, and payments.
- Reviewing and ensure timely completion of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements (US and international), and other financial packages for divisions and operational key performance indicators (KPIs) such as budget to actual.
- Managing a team responsible for accounts receivable, accounts payable, and supporting the growth of the Accounting Team at Timescale as it scales and grows.
- Managing the cash position across all financial accounts/facilities and ensuring cash forecasts are updated timely.
- Creating and monitoring KPIs, highlighting trends and analyzing causes of unexpected variance; analyzing financial information and providing real-time reports and support to management for decision-making purposes.
- Identifying, leading, and executing financial and accounting initiatives to make efficiencies and improve the management information, reporting accuracy, and speed of delivery across the company. This will include transitioning Timescale to a more robust ERP solution.
- Coordinating, managing, and overseeing Timesclale’s inaugural audit, ensuring timely completion and delivery.
- Conducting standard treasury functions, optimizing interest income for cash on hand, and reducing expenses due to operational inefficiencies.
- Reporting daily on cashflow activity and owning the quarterly cashflow model.
- Supporting the financial budgeting and strategic planning process, financial analysis, risk management, and internal reporting to leadership.
This role is remote, and English language fluency is a requirement. Timescale is a fully remote organization; this is a full-time position with a preferred location in North America or South America to ensure we have full coverage for the team.
A little bit about you
You are a leader with experience managing and developing accounting teams, as well as overseeing the function on a day-to-day basis. You enjoy serving as the interface between Accounting and other teams including Engineering, Product, Customer Care, Biz-Ops, Marketing, and People & Operations. You believe that organizations are best when they’re diverse and inclusive, and you’re committed to ensuring that everything we do at Timescale reflects this belief. 🤩
- Have at least 5 years of experience leading and managing the accounting function, with 10 years of functional experience in accounting or finance roles
- Possess or are in the process of earning a CPA (required)
- Have experience leading the monthly, quarterly, and annual close process, audit, and tax reporting
- Are proficient in ERP systems, particularly Quickbooks and Netsuite
- Have familiarity with collecting payment through credit cards
- Have audit experience, particularly with a ‘Big 4’ accounting firm
- Have prior startup experience at a Series B and beyond company
- Possess strong knowledge of revenue recognition for SaaS businesses
Timescale is the creator of TimescaleDB, the industry-leading relational database for time-series. Tens of thousands of organizations trust TimescaleDB today with their mission-critical time-series applications. The company is dedicated to serving software developers and businesses worldwide, enabling them to build exceptional data-driven products that measure everything that matters: software applications, industrial equipment, financial markets, blockchain activity, consumer behavior, machine learning models, climate change, and more. Analyzing data across the time dimension (“time-series data”) enables developers to understand what is happening right now, how that is changing, and why that is changing. Timescale is a fully remote company with a global🌎 workforce and is backed by Tiger Global, Benchmark Capital, New Enterprise Associates, Redpoint Ventures, Icon Ventures, Two Sigma Ventures, and other leading investors. For more information, visit www.timescale.com or follow @TimescaleDB.
Working at Timescale🐯
Timescale is breaking boundaries and setting new standards in the innovating and rapidly growing time-series data industry. Built on the foundation of people-focused values and principles, Timescale makes sure integrity, mutual respect, and compassion is at the heart of everything we do. Empowered by our Co-Founders, Ajay Kulkarni (CEO) and Mike Freedman (CTO), we are challenging the norm by working with people who continuously inspire and teach us 🤝.
Enjoy debating the crunch-factor of different chicken nuggets 🍗, sweating it out during lunch 💦, talking about your kids, whether they be actual children 👶🏽, potted plants 🌱, or four-legged creatures 🐾? You’ll fit right in at Timescale!
What we’re offering
Benefits may differ from country to country.
- Flexible PTO and family leave
- Fridays off in August 😎
- Full remote work from almost anywhere
- Stock options
- Monthly WiFi stipend
- Professional development and educational benefits 📚
- Premium insurance options for you and your family (US employees)
- FSA/Dependent FSA plans (US employees)
- 401(k) retirement plan (US employees)