Teachable is on a mission to enable the transformative power of knowledge in our world. Our online platform enables individuals and small businesses (our “Creators”) to build, host and sell online courses and coaching. We generate revenue in two ways: (1) from monthly or annual subscription fees (SaaS) paid to us by our Creators for access to the platform; and (2) from transaction fees calculated as a percent of the value of courses and services sold by Creators through our platform. We currently support over 40,000 Creators who have collectively sold over $1 billion in courses and coaching on Teachable.
Teachable is looking for a Counsel to join its Legal & Compliance team, which diligently manages complex issues to make sure that our creators, students, employees, and shareholders are kept safe and sound. Cutting across the company horizontally, the Legal team pivots from privacy laws, to changing tax requirements, to copyright and trademark rights, to marketing and advertising requirements, to new product development considerations, to employment laws in the wake of our current reality, and more. In this role, it’s imperative that you can research and synthesize the legal requirements that we face and then pivot to implement policies, programs, or projects that ensure compliance with those laws.
You will be a central member of the team tasked with helping uncover, understand, and ultimately mitigate the legal and compliance risks that Teachable faces. You will be focusing your time on two sides of the same coin – law and compliance. In this role, it’s imperative that you can research and synthesize the legal requirements that we face and then pivot to implement policies, programs, or projects that ensure compliance with those laws. This person in this role will be a key figure assisting with keeping the organization safe and sound as we rapidly progress on our mission.
What You’ll Do
- Manages complex legal issues that arise on Teachable’s SAAS platform, including keeping up to date with the changing regulatory landscape that impacts an internet business.
- Are or willing to become a SME in privacy rules and regulations that affect Teachable and it’s parent company, Hotmart BV.
- Subject matters include employment, contracts, user and partnership agreements, marketing and advertising, information security, consumer protection, and product design consideration, with a scope that includes state, federal, and international legal concerns.
- Drafts and negotiates a wide variety of commercial agreements and vendor contracts, including professional and technology services agreements, confidentiality agreements, statements of work, and master service agreements with vendors and partners.
- Perform legal and compliance related research to guide the company’s initiatives including DMCA notifications, money transmitter laws, tax, and fraud.
- Work on the front lines with our Customer Operations team directly responding to legal and compliance issues that may be raised by our customers
- Know or be willing to learn when to manage items in-house and when to escalate to the global legal team or outside counsel and then manage that outside counsel, including keeping an eye towards budget and review of work product
- Jump into new products with an eye towards the ongoing legal risks and new risks that are created as the company expands its offerings.
- Juris Doctor
- New York Bar membership or registration (or ability to register) as In-House Counsel in New York
- 2 – 5+ years legal experience in a law firm, in-house, or at a startup
- Experience in payments, financial services, information security, regulatory compliance, or copyright a plus
- Ability to roll up sleeves and get things done
- Proficiency with taking complex issues and reducing them consumable, actionable information (after all slack isn’t very conducive to long memos)
- Detail oriented
- Desire and comfortableness working in a startup environment
Teachable is an instructor-focused platform that empowers creators to build and sell online courses and coaching on any topic-from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Instructors using our platform have collectively earned more than a billion dollars to date.
Since our founding, we’ve raised more than $12.5 million from top venture investors and were acquired in March of 2020. Teachable is now part of Hotmart Company, a global tech group focused on the Creator Economy, with over 1,300 employees in 8 countries (Netherlands, USA, Brazil, Spain, Mexico, Colombia, France and UK). Hotmart´s mission is to help creators make a living from their passions, using digital products to entertain, help and instruct their audiences.
We’re growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent. We won’t hold you back from reaching your full potential at Teachable; you’ll have the freedom to be an integral member of our tight-knit team, with great benefits and perks. Your work here will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we’re committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.