RStudio creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real world applications. Our core is an open source data science toolchain and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
We are looking for an experienced and innovative Creative Lead to help shape how we share our story with the world through digital marketing. The team consists of experienced digital and print designers, as well as video storytellers, and they work cross-functionally with the Product Marketing, RevOps, Solution Engineering, Customer Support and Customer Success disciplines.
While RStudio is about data science products, deep experience in data science and R is not required for this role. The ideal candidate will have a track record of creating high-value experiences supported by designs in an agile setting and a desire to constantly solve new and exciting design problems for web and mobile platforms.
We’re dedicated to crafting clear and effective designs for technical software products that improve the world. You may be right for this role if:
- You are enthusiastic about resolving complex, technical problems through excellent design, often boiling complicated concepts down to simple and striking visuals.
- You can work efficiently on your own but love to collaborate
- You enjoy driving the full range of design activities from conception through final visual design.
- Deliver consistently innovative and top quality designs that tell an engaging story through still and moving images across product videos, film, narrative storytelling, motion graphics, animation etc. to increase reach, awareness, consideration, conversion and long-term customer value.
- Lead projects through the full growth-driven design process, from early ideas and sketches to vectors that “go live” to delight our users across the globe and drive the brand forward.
- Optimize existing channels and craft forward-thinking digital design for RStudio’s brand
- Ability to learn and connect with the target personas needs, business, brand, and portfolio of products
- Collaborate and closely partner with multi-disciplinary teams to gather and understand business and communication requirements to connect the dots between integrated brand strategy and integrated digital marketing/RevOps strategy to expand reach and connection with prospects and customers
- Provide a thought-out point of view and lead presentations that tell the story of the design solution
- Ability to provide clear direction and feedback to team members and project managers to improve the creative process
- Instill a strong sense of ownership, agency, and autonomy within the team while sustaining trust and credibility with stakeholders across the RStudio organization.
- 8+ years of design experience in SaaS and/or Data Science environment: You have a proven track record of achievement in delivering tangible business results through a wealth of digital experience and real passion for communicating through design for web, motion media, video and print experiences.
- You have working knowledge of front end development in a static site generator like Hugo, and worked with a web design framework like Bootstrap, Material Design, or similar.
- You are adaptable and able to thrive in a fast-paced ever changing environment with the ability to manage ambiguity, multi-task, organize, prioritize, and meet all deadlines.
- You are humble and people-focused. You invest in strong relationships with your colleagues and can motivate your team even in the most complex situations.
- You thrive on solving problems through clear storytelling and design, and enjoy the opportunity to shape the future of a company’s voice.
- You are both pragmatic and data driven. You are perfectly willing to go back to the drawing board if new data would support the need for a different approach.
- You excel at collaborating iteratively. You are comfortable both ideating and executing, and you can move seamlessly between the two modes.
- You model excellent communication and collaboration skills and you can function effectively in a distributed team. You require minimal guidance because you take the initiative to spot—and do—what should be done.
- You are internally driven by curiosity and continuous learning. You have proven that you can be entrusted with big decisions and strive to bring customer understanding and empathy to the entire team. You gracefully accept feedback and critiques and seek out any new information that will help prepare you for your next challenge.
- Empathetic to users: You demonstrate empathy for how users behave and feel about RStudio and actively participate in user research.
- Attention to detail: You have a reason for everything you do and have strong craftsmanship, but also know when pixel perfection isn’t needed.
- A strong interest in Marketing.
- RStudio is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means that our open-source mission is codified into our charter, and that our corporate decisions balance the interests of the community, customers, employees, and shareholders.
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working with RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable, growing fast, and we plan to be around decades from now.
- 100% distributed team (or come in to one of our offices in Seattle or Boston) with minimal travel
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including:
- medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered)
- 401k matching
- a home office allowance or reimbursement for a coworking space
- a profit-sharing system
- Flexible environment with a generous vacation policy
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.