At Vercel, we believe that liberating the frontend unlocks creativity and open-source is the best way forward.
We are building a next-generation internet where developers can create freely and execute new ideas, guaranteeing a more vibrant, personalized internet. Vercel’s platform provides the speed and reliability to create at the moment of inspiration. In other words, our friction-less, real-time deployment makes it possible to start working on projects immediately — anywhere in the world.
Our globally-distributed team works asynchronously to lead the React ecosystem and serve developers at large companies. We pride ourselves on our diversity, shared urgency to iterate, team-oriented decision making, and drive to dig deep.
About the Role:
The Data Team at Vercel works with the VP of Data who sits on Vercel’s Leadership Team. Our tight-knit team is internationally distributed from different backgrounds in and out of the data world. We try to be intentional and clear in our work. Examples of this include a Request For Comments (RFC) process, virtual off-sites to reflect on and plan our work, and an issue tracking system with automation and metrics. Since the team was created in Jan. 2022 our Data Engineers have been rolled out an outstanding data warehouse using modern tools.
What You Will Do:
As a Data Engineer, your job is to enable other teams to derive insights from data. Data Engineers are responsible for bringing data to the Data Warehouse so that Analytics Engineering, Data Science, and other teams can consume as a source of truth. In this role you will also:
- Create and document paved paths for different data use cases.
- Help the team mature our data practices in areas such as observability and data quality.
- Become knowledgeable in both our upstream data sources and the business context that your stakeholders operate in so that you can give feedback and anticipate issues
Strong working relationships and clear communication will be key to your success as much as technical skills.
- Work at the infrastructure level to ensure the existing systems operate smoothly
- Provide/maintain new systems to solve data use cases.
- Explore new opportunities for making our data pipelines more efficient/resilient and create new ones when needed
- Build tools that allow new data sources to be ingested into the data warehouse
- Consult with other engineering teams to ensure their data systems are created in a healthy and sustainable way
- Proficient with Python programming language and comfortable working with SQL
- Experience creating and monitoring data products within a data warehouse environment; preferably with dbt and Snowflake
- Strong data modeling background
- Comfortable working from the command line and with git
- Experience deploying, maintaining and using data systems that solve problems at scale
- Experience working with streaming data systems
- Kind, positive, and generally passionate about data and Vercel!
- Competitive compensation and stock options
- Inclusive Healthcare Package
- Flexible working style – 100% remote, with teammates located throughout the globe
- Learn and Grow – we provide mentorship and send you to events that help you build your network and skills
- Unlimited PTO – 4 weeks recommended per year. Take time when you need it.
- We will provide you the gear you need to do your role, and a WFH budget for you to outfit your space as needed
Vercel is committed to fostering and empowering an inclusive community within our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Vercel encourages everyone to apply for our available positions, even if they don’t necessarily check every box on the job description.