WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
Members of the Data Science Team at ActBlue act as subject matter experts on all things small-dollar donor, from conversion rates on our contribution forms to trends in campaign finance data. We empower teams across the organization to magnify the impact and improve the experience of small-dollar donors, create data products for the campaigns and organizations using our tools, and serve as advocates for the small-dollar donor movement.
Data Science is part of a larger data team alongside the Data Platform and Data Engineering Teams. Together we provide data services and products to ActBlue and its users using SQL (PostgreSQL, Redshift, MySQL), R, Python, dbt, and Looker.
We’re hiring for multiple openings and are open to all levels of experience!
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Be of service – work with colleagues and external partners to answer questions about ActBlue’s tools and the impact of small-dollar donors, surfacing trends and insights from domain-specific data (i.e. feature analytics for product teams, financial and operational analytics, and campaign finance data).
- Build shared power – strengthen analytical capacity across the organization, including improving reporting workflows, assessing and collecting requirements for new analytics products, and training end users on using internal data products.
- Practice curiosity – be proactive in identifying insights that have the potential for positive impact, and communicating those insights to teammates.
- Nurture trust – effectively and empathetically communicate the knowns and unknowns of our analyses and data products to teammates across the organization.
- Adapt with intention – manage and prioritize multiple requests and projects, some with tight deadlines and some with loosely defined instructions and desired outcomes.
- Foster belonging – commit to being a member of a diverse and inclusive team, provide mentorship, offer respectful feedback, and celebrate team wins.
- Take care – serve as a conscientious steward of our data, being as thoughtful with donor and user data as you would hope someone would be with your own.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Dedication to our mission of empowering small-dollar donors and helping nonprofits, progressive organizations, and Democratic campaigns build better fundraising programs.
- Intermediate+ proficiency with SQL: SQL tuning for query performance, assisting in designing ETL/ELT pipelines.
- Beginner+ proficiency with R (tidyverse, ggplot2) or Python (pandas, matplotlib).
- Ability to use a combination of exploratory analysis, A/B testing, and multivariate and time series analysis to discern patterns from outliers.
- Experience with business intelligence tools: from building out data models to training end users.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to confidently share insights with various audiences.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ActBlue is currently authorized to support remote work employees in California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.
We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes the benefits listed below.
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
- Automatic 2% 401K contribution, plus up to 6% match
- Three months paid parental leave for all new parents, adoptions included; 4 weeks of a fully paid flexible work schedule; plus an additional one week of paid leave and an additional one week of flexible work schedule for every full year the employee has worked for ActBlue
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position.