Are you passionate about database administration, capacity planning, performance tuning, and scalability? Do you have a track record of delivering high quality and useful systems in a fast-paced environment? Are your problem-solving skills second to none? Do you have a knack for teaching, mentoring others, and sharing your knowledge? You’re looking for a big challenge that holds big opportunities—and you’ll find that at Thinkific!
As the Database Reliability Engineer, you’ll provide support to product and infrastructure teams by providing tools, processes, and expertise to make database services easy to operate and as reliable as possible. You’ll work across multiple Engineering teams to develop and uncover performance and reliability insights within our codebase and infrastructure. As Thinkific continues to grow quickly, you’ll play a key role in ensuring the ongoing reliability and availability of our data storage infrastructure, helping iterate on our overall data layer performance and reliability strategy as we scale and grow across multiple regions.
In this role, you will:
- Provide guidance and best practices on how to design database schemas and choose technologies and services to ensure we scale efficiently
- Help define the scale strategy for our data layer and analytics
- Build fault tolerant database infrastructure, leveraging infrastructure-as-code practices
- Work on observability of relevant database metrics to help ensure we reach SLOs
- Work alongside Site Reliability Engineers to migrate and to roll out changes to the different environments
- Join the on-call support rotation for incident response with the team
- Turn learnings into references by creating and maintaining process strategy and incident documentation
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Have 4+ years of experience managing production databases in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- Exhibit deep domain knowledge in Postgres, Redis, and Memcache
- Demonstrate proven experience operating high-scale production data layer workloads
- Have experience in planning and implementing distributed data layer architectures
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills—you’re comfortable working with technical teams and non-technical stakeholders
- Be a smart and strategic decision-maker. think through problems and make strategic choices based on the best outcome, not just the easy outcome
- Have acted as a mentor to other engineers in the past and are comfortable with leading projects
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Are eager to learn and grow—you’ve likely had some post-secondary education, continue to seek opportunities to level up your skills, or have equivalent professional experience in a similar role
- Have developed and maintained database performance and reliability metrics (Grafana, CloudWatch, Prometheus) in the past
- Hold experience with infrastructure-as-code tooling (Terraform, Atlantis, CloudFormation)
- Are familiar with AWS data layer offerings (RDS, Redis, Memcache, DynamoDB)
- Can create clear and effective technical documentation
Bonus points if you:
- Have previously implemented distributed database clustering solutions (such as GaleraDB)
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses.
Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we’re building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Together, we’ve served over 50,000 course creators and more than 25 million students, and these numbers are growing each day!
Why we think you’ll like working with us:
- Be part of a team of incredibly talented, passionate, and driven people focused on building and innovating on a best-in-class learning platform
- Make an impact with your work—each person has an equal opportunity to contribute to our goals and every day, we get to see how Thinkific is empowering both course creators and their students
- Join one of the fastest-growing companies in Canada and find opportunities to grow in your own career—offering advancement opportunities for our team members is important to us!
- Contribute to Thinkific’s award-winning culture—we’re one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and a certified Great Place to Work!
- We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, and mental health coverage, and an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family
- Whether you’re at our Vancouver HQ or working from home, you’ll have the opportunity to build meaningful relationships with Thinkers on your team and across the company through team-wide events, meet and greets with new team members, and regular social events
- Have fun with our team, even while we’re working remotely—join us for an online games session, virtual trivia and paint nights, at-home fitness challenges, or even an online coffee brewing demo!
- Get additional health and wellness support through a lifestyle or health spending account to put your dollars where you need it most, whether that’s subsidizing your gym membership, covering out-of-pocket expenses, or getting new gear
- Enjoy our open vacation policy and flexible work environment, because we know the importance of having a great work-life balance (and sometimes, you do your best work in slippers)
- Learn and Grow is one of our values and we take it seriously, providing opportunities through lunch and learns, training, workshops, mentorship, and our $1500 education allowance
- Grow your career AND your family at Thinkific—you’ll be taken care of with our parental leave top-ups as you add to your family
- Meet the many @dogsofthinkific (and yes, they’re as cute and cuddly as they look)
- Work with the hardware you’re most comfortable with, and upgrade or replace your system when you need to with our technology bonus
- Get set up for success, whether that’s at the office or at home. Whether you need a monitor, laptop stand, keyboard, mouse, or even a desk, we’ll work to ensure you have what you need to do your best work
- Be confident bringing your whole self to work—we’re proud to be an inclusive company with a diverse team and values grounded in ethics and equality
- Here at Thinkific, we know that the different perspectives on our team have led to amazing ideas, more innovation, and, ultimately, our success as a company. Our team welcomes applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, beliefs, identities, and statuses. Whoever you are—we can’t wait to meet you!