** Apply by 12pm PDT on Wednesday, September 22nd, 2021 for first consideration.**
Truss is tackling tough technical problems for the private sector and government (primarily federal, but also state and local). We use modern development practices to build software, streamline infrastructure, and train others through exposure to our teams. We have earned a reputation with our clients for pragmatism, autonomy, expertise and trust. We extend these values to our strong relationships with contractors, partners and employees, because we believe this is fundamental to doing great work.
We are seeking an empathetic, driven, curious, and quick-learning Delivery Manager to build strong, self-organizing teams and streamline our delivery process. As a Truss Delivery Manager you will facilitate bringing our values to our clients and help drive toward understanding what their end users truly need. A position with Truss will allow you to develop a rich skill-set working in an energetic yet balanced environment with a cross-functional team of curious, helpful people.
Here’s what we hope you’ll bring:
- Bias towards action: resolving blockers or proactively heading off blockers; balancing taking initiative with communicating changes that impact the team
- Great communication, including active listening skills, the ability to express complex ideas clearly and succinctly, and the ability to communicate well in writing
- Ability to work independently with close attention to detail; highly reliable follow through and ongoing communication about work
- Comfort with technical jargon and ability to translate technical details into plainspeak; understanding of accessibility best practices (technical background not required)
- Experience working on cross-functional teams (e.g. working with a team of product managers, designers, and engineers)
- Experience working on government projects
We recognize that Delivery Management is a broad discipline and we would like you to have experience in 3-4 of the following areas:
- Project management to deliver digital products
- Solid grasp of agile mindset and/or ability to facilitate productive scrum ceremonies
- Risk management and risk mitigation
- Strong change management skills: ability to proactively identify and initiate necessary change; get buy-in; and manage process change to completion
- Consulting or other client or customer management skills
- Bureaucracy hacking within a government organization or other large enterprises
- Strong leadership skills, even if you have not held a formal leadership role, including: self awareness, situational and organizational awareness, time management, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to ask good questions; courage to ask questions that might seem obvious or like the elephant in the room.
- Easily and independently learn new tools and technology (e.g. Slack, JIRA, basic GitHub knowledge).
If you have experience outside of what is reflected here, that’s great! We’ll be pleased to exercise your unique skill set. We value inclusion and welcome diverse viewpoints. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!
In this position you will:
- Ensure teams understand overall project goals and are tracking toward them
- Demonstrate a high level of efficiency at unblocking teams and managing risk; proactively help teams avoid blockers
- Help protect your team’s time and empower them to do their jobs well
- Excel at communication, optimizing messaging for different audiences and mediums (e.g. Slack vs. video conference)
- Oversee team budget to ensure costs of tools and services are managed
- Proactively identify and improve processes as needed to increase team efficiency.
- Lead process changes and spearhead change management efforts as needed
- Work cross-functionally on project teams serving the federal government to form and drive decisions to completion
- Contribute to internal processes and structure for delivery management practice
- Proactively create documentation and processes as needed to support your team (e.g. onboarding/offboarding materials; FAQs)
- Little to no travel is expected through 2021. Once it’s safe to do so, we expect minimal travel for client and team meetings.
The salary range for this position is $130,000 to $151,000.
Eligibility:You must be eligible to work in the US. Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
** A note from Truss: We know you’re likely experiencing a lot of disruption as our nation (and our world) responds to COVID-19 and other events – we’re experiencing it, too. During video interviews, you’ll likely see more of our human side. Family members, partners, kids and pets may be home with some of us! We promise to be present and engaged, but we may be a little…harried. It’s OK if you are, too – we understand that everyone is experiencing extra stress right now. If you have any questions along the way, please let us know, and stay healthy and safe. **