Eventbrite has a world-class data repository of live events, powering millions of events and hundreds of millions of ticket transactions each year in 170+ countries. Our platform allows event creators and event goers to have the most meaningful live experiences. As our Director of Data Engineering, you will lead teams that are building our next-generation data infrastructure and platform to support both internal and customer-facing applications. It’s an exciting time in Eventbrite’s Data Engineering organization as we are implementing large paradigm shifts in our data infrastructure, including moving from batch tables to data streams and from relational databases to purpose built databases. We are looking to grow our team with a senior leader who has a strong data architecture background, has prior expertise building and leading best in class data organizations, and can drive this foundational transformation.
We’re a people-focused Engineering organization; the people on our team value working together in small teams to solve significant problems, supporting an active culture of mentorship and inclusion, and pushing themselves to learn new things daily. Pair programming, weekly demos, tech talks, and hackathons are at the core of how we’ve built our team and product. Our technology spans the web, mobile, API, big data, machine learning, and search.
This director role will be a leader within our Data Engineering organization, reporting to the VP of Data Engineering. You will help define and promote our data-driven culture, providing thought leadership for how we use data across the company. You will be responsible for working across Product, Finance, Data Science, and Engineering to drive scalable improvements to how we leverage data to improve operational efficiency and build competitive advantage. You will drive key decisions around how we work with data at Eventbrite, both within the Data Strategy Organization and for the broader company, including taking ownership of database and data warehouse design initiatives. You will advise our Product and Engineering teams on best data practices and will shape the future landscape of data at Eventbrite, including architecting the databases and data streams to power Eventbrite’s ever growing business. You’ll work on exciting projects that touch all parts of our data ecosystem, including working with technologies such as Spark, Python, SQL, Presto, Hive, MySQL, Redis, Tableau, DynamoDB, and Kinesis.
As the Director of Data Engineering, you will be asked to contribute in the following areas:
- Lead a team of managers, data engineers, and analytics engineers as we continue to scale, and build a high-performance, world-class data organization
- Responsible for growing the team through a combination of coaching, mentoring, feedback, and hands-on career development
- Work closely with data scientists on data exploration and build out our machine learning platform
- Develop data pipelines that include ingestion of structured, semi-structured and unstructured data sets from source systems to consumable models
- Architect and design of large-scale data platforms, including batch, streaming, and real-time data processing
- Recruit strong engineering talent that represents the diversity of our audience, with clear and consistent hiring strategies
- Participate actively in infrastructure and application design, focusing on scalability considerations especially around data storage and access
- Evaluate competing data technologies and toolsets from various vendors and open-source products; drive platform selection; negotiate with and maintain relationships with key vendors
THE SKILL SET
- Leadership experience with data engineering teams within the context of data warehouse design and implementation, data management activities, visualization tools, and database administration
- A highly-collaborative partner, who enjoys working closely with product management and data science teams to align the organization on joint goals
- Work closely with the security team to ensure our systems and networks are hardened and protected
- A strong communicator who can explain complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers
- Proven track record of recruiting, hiring, and retaining technical talent
- Comfortable leading and being a part of a fast growing and changing organization
- Experience with data warehouse technical architectures, EDW concepts, and data modeling (star, snowflake and galaxy schemas)
- Knowledgeable in SQL, Python, job scheduling and workload management tools (Airflow), and SQL query engines (Presto)
- Experience with Stream-processing systems such as Confluent Kafka, Spark-Streaming, and AWS Kinesis
- Experience and knowledge with various Business Intelligence reporting tools (Tableau)
- Experience with Amazon cloud technologies including Aurora, RedShift, S3, and Elastic MapReduce
THE TECH STACK
- Our primary application stack is Python and Django-based microservices, running on AWS with MySQL backends.
- Our data warehouse relies heavily on Spark pipelines and Hive data tables.
- Some of the other tools that we use heavily are Redis, Elasticsearch, Kafka, Git, Presto, and an endless supply of coffee.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Eventbrite, we strive to support our Britelings and their loved ones through different stages of life with robust and attractive benefits, financial and physical wellness options, and great perks.
In addition to offering a competitive salary and company stock, we have other great benefits available. In the Briteland, you’ll find great medical plans, fertility and adoption benefits, wellness reimbursement, generous parental leave, on-site services, and much more.
We care about your mental health and wellbeing
Our employees enjoy free coaching sessions with Modern Health. We also offer free therapy sessions with a psychologist. You’ll also have access to private medical insurance for you and your family, that includes dental care. And if you like sports, we have our wellness program to pay for your gym expenses.
Ongoing training and career development is an important part of our culture
We offer unlimited access to courses in Udemy, language exchange programs, internal training, Briteling talks, workshops and weekly sessions with our CEO
Work-life balance is extremely important to us
Our employees can choose what works best for them: work in one of our offices, be fully remote or the best of both worlds! We believe in a flexible working environment to allow Britelings to perform at their best ensuring a healthy work-life balance. We have recently implemented Britebreak Fridays: all Britelings turn off their computers and take the first Friday of every month off to focus on their wellbeing.
Eventbrite is a global self-service ticketing and experience technology platform that serves a community of nearly one million event creators in over 180 countries. Since inception, Eventbrite has been at the center of the experience economy, transforming the way people organize and attend events. The Eventbrite platform provides an intuitive, secure, and reliable service that enables creators to plan and execute their live and online events, whether it’s an annual culinary festival attracting thousands of foodies, a professional webinar, a weekly yoga workshop or a youth dance class. With over 300 million tickets distributed to more than 4 million experiences in 2019, Eventbrite is where people all over the world discover new things to do or new ways to do more of what they love.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
Eventbrite is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer supporting workforce diversity. We do not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, mental or physical disability, political affiliation, status as a victim of domestic violence, assault or stalking, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.