Weedmaps is looking for a visionary and experienced design executive to shape and execute the future of our end-to-end suite of business and consumer software for the cannabis industry. The ideal candidate will have the capabilities necessary to build a world-class team of designers and conceptualize the technical foundation that the cannabis industry will operate on.
As the Director of Design at Weedmaps, you will be leading and overseeing the end-to-end experience for both our B2C and B2B products. You will also continue to build, manage, coach and rapidly scale a team of high-performing designers while collaborating cross-departmentally with Product, Engineering, and Marketing leadership to plan and iterate on a variety of new and existing features and products. In this role, you will be responsible for driving best practices in user research, user testing and empirically based design to scale our suite of products. You have experience shipping and rapidly iterating on products and know what it takes to get something from idea to reality.
As the leader of the design team, you will be responsible for articulating the purpose and approach of the design organization, hiring and retaining top talent for your team, executing on key deliverables and working productively with leaders across the organization. This role is located in our Irvine, California office.
The impact you’ll make:
- Ensure best in class experiences across all of our products and features and ensure teams are delivering high-quality product design work.
- Define UX vision and strategy, generating buy-in and operationalizing the strategy across multiple teams and timelines.
- Be an expert in understanding the interconnectedness of the Weedmaps product suite and how all the parts fit together. Know what patterns to use when and where so the user experience is seamless and can achieve the goals it was meant to do.
- Partner closely with engineering and product to identify solutions to design challenges
- Raise the bar for product quality across our products by advocating for user-centered product roadmaps, investments in last-mile refinement and polish, and insights driven by user research.
- Iteratively improve products based on quantitative and qualitative feedback.
- Provide direction and growth to the design team by reviewing design progress and providing constructive feedback to drive creative execution.
- Actively participate in the recruiting process and assess new talent to help build a world-class product and design team.
- Clearly communicate design decisions to stakeholders across departments
- Balance long-term and short-term perspectives throughout the continuous release process while iterating toward a future vision.
- Drive the design team to combine user behavioral and product data with design optimization and flow revision to create better product experiences.
- Identify and deploy industry-leading tools that enable the product and design team to continually improve the user experience at key points along the user journey.
- Define and encourage standards and best practices while monitoring processes for creating and presenting design deliverables.
What you’ve accomplished:
- Minimum of 10 years experience working in product design and have shipped several products and features.
- Minimum of 5+ years experience managing a design team.
- A portfolio of meaningful product design work (from UX design to visual design) that showcases your ability to ship successful products.
- Proven ability to translate qualitative and quantitative insights into a clear direction that guides the team in creating the right experience.
- Proven track record devising product vision and strategy and designing high-quality products (web or mobile) in collaboration with product management and engineering partners.
- You have the ability to manage, mentor & elevate a team of product designers and help them navigate ambiguity to find clarity.
- You have experience shipping enterprise B2C and/or B2B products and features.
- Experience working with e-commerce and enterprise software products for business.
- History of growing a team across hiring and people development.
- 100% paid employee monthly Medical, Dental and Vision premiums AND 80% paid dependent monthly premiums
- HMO (California residents only) and PPO option offered through United Healthcare
- Company-paid $50,000 in Basic Life/AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) coverage
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: 100% match on the first 1%. 50% match from 2-6% of employee contributions
- 3 weeks PTO (accrued) and 5 sick days (immediate)
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- Goodly (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings) including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical, Dependent, Transit and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Pet Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- During current work-from-home:
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- 11 company-paid holidays
- Catered lunch and snacks provided when working in the office
- Snack boxes sent straight to your door when you work-from-home
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Monthly virtual happy hours
- Quarterly all-hands meetings
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Founded in 2008, Weedmaps is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry. Our suite of cloud-based software and data solutions includes point of sale, logistics and ordering solutions that enable customers to scale their businesses while complying with the complex and disparate regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. In addition, our platform provides consumers with information regarding cannabis products across web and mobile platforms, including listing local retailers and brands, facilitating product discovery and allowing consumers to educate themselves on cannabis and its history, uses and legal status. Headquartered in Irvine, California, Weedmaps employs more than 400 professionals around the world, with offices including Barcelona, Denver, and Toronto.