Truss is tackling tough technical problems for the private sector and government. We use modern development practices to build software, streamline infrastructure, and train others through exposure to our teams. We have earned a reputation with our clients for pragmatism, autonomy, expertise, and trust. We extend these values to our strong relationships with contractors, partners, and employees because we believe this is fundamental to doing great work.
Truss was named one of the Inc. 5000 Fastest Growing Companies for 2022. All Trussels enjoy full benefits, generous PTO, 401k match, a co-working budget, an employee effectiveness budget, and company-wide transparency around salaries and career leveling (view the Truss Leveling Guide). We have been a remote-first organization since our inception and are passionate about work-life balance, building diverse teams, and practicing radical candor.
The Director of Application Engineering at Truss will define and evangelize a clear vision and strategic plan for the practice that aligns with organizational goals and delivers key results. As a member of the Truss Leadership Team, this role will lead organization-wide initiatives by providing a strong technical vision that attracts new client business, helps existing clients solve complex problems, embodies Truss Values, and is an active contributor to organizational objectives and strategic plans.
This is a fully remote position and reports to the Head of Practices.
The Director of Application Engineering will develop, train and convey a foundational approach to application engineering that supports project teams to efficiently deliver consistent, profitable and successful client outcomes. This role will also work cross-functionally with internal stakeholders to refine tools and processes, establish, track, and report on measurable outcomes, and clearly communicate a technical vision internally.
Application Engineering produces high-quality, deployed software and is the largest practice at Truss. The Director of Application Engineering will lead and manage the practice, mentor, motivate, and support managers, senior managers, and people managers and think strategically and holistically about how to attract, build, and retain a diverse team of engineers.
The salary range for this position is $233,000 – $264,500
THE SKILL SET:
- Equity and inclusion mindset as it applies to hiring, opportunities, coaching, building a thriving practice and developing engineers and people managers
- Experience successfully leading and scaling a mid-sized engineering team
- Strong relationship-building and collaborative work style
- Proven track record of successful organizational transformation initiatives including stakeholder management, team alignment, and communication
- An adaptive, empathetic, and collaborative mindset
- Passion for facilitating effective communication between technical and non-technical colleagues and clients, skilled at articulating the value of technical choices to a range of audiences
- 5+ years hands-on agile engineering/software development experience
Organizational Leadership Success Outcomes:
- Establish a strong foundational understanding of Truss projects and the organization (what we do, how we do it, what makes us unique) for effective decision making and problem solving.
- Foster partnerships across Truss that support profitable and successful client outcomes and drive value for employees and users.
- Contribute a strong application engineering voice that embodies Truss values to support the company purpose: move to the edge and declare it center.
- Contribute to the Truss Leadership Team’s organizational objectives and strategic plans.
Practice Leadership Success Outcomes:
- Collaborate with other practices and delivery functions, to establish consistent training, tools, processes and documented standards for application engineers to drive consistent, impactful client outcomes.
- Effectively represent and evangelize the relevant perspectives of the application engineering practice across the organization, and with current and prospective clients.
- Define measurable outcomes and regularly track and report on progress.
People Leadership Success Outcomes:
- Attract, build, and retain a diverse team of experienced application engineers.
- Mentor, motivate, and support the application engineering managers and team to deliver consistent, impactful client outcomes.
- Develop and coach team members within the practice to progress along their individual growth paths.
You must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Truss employees must live and work within the continental U.S. or one of its territories.
Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Truss is a federal contractor and as such must adhere to executive order 14042 for the Covid Vaccination mandate regarding federal contractors. Upon employment, Truss will request proof of vaccination. If a medical or religious accommodation is needed, a discussion can be held with our People Operations department.
** A note from Truss: We know you’re likely experiencing a lot of disruption as our nation (and our world) responds to COVID-19 and other events – we’re experiencing it, too. During video interviews, you’ll likely see more of our human side. Family members, partners, kids, and pets are home with some of us! We promise to be present and engaged, but we may be a little…harried. It’s OK if you are, too – we understand that everyone is experiencing extra stress right now. If you have any questions along the way, please let us know, and stay healthy and safe. **