NerdWallet serves over 160 million visitors yearly, who come to us to get trusted and objective financial guidance, tools, and independent reviews. We provide consumers with expert and actionable guidance across a range of personal finance topics, including credit cards, banking, loans, investing and general personal finance.
As the Director of Consumer Engineering you would lead a team of engineers and managers who build the backbone of the site. Everything from article pages, section hubs, and the homepage would fall under your purview. NerdWallet takes complex financial products and describes them in simple everyday language. Your challenge will be to build a site that’s equally easy to navigate, use, and understand.
In addition to the consumer journey, you’d also build out editorial tools to allow our crack editorial team to focus on conveying complex information simply, not fight with the tool they use to do so.
Where you can make an impact:
- Manage the career paths and performance for a team of developers, managers, and senior managers
- Experience leading other managers with a track record of successfully improving front-line managers’ skills
- Identify and drive successful engineering-wide improvements (i.e. improving our engineering hiring pipeline, standardizing best practices in project planning, improving our cross-functional collaboration, etc)
- Being a key contributor to engineering hiring and staffing diverse engineering teams
- Help your teams hire and retain our top talent
- Ensure the managers you support have highly functional, healthy teams—including assisting in finding opportunities to improve
- Experience leading agile teams using methodologies like Scrum and Kanban
- Build realistic project plans, align across teams with respect to deliverables, proactively identify risks, and develop mitigation plans
- Define and drive key success metrics and communicate progress to executive stakeholders
- Customer focused: You are passionate about building delightful user experiences and creating web applications that improve the lives of millions of users
- Communicative and collaborative: You are able to work effectively with others
- A Leader and owner: You have demonstrated feature development ownership, can lead by example, and enjoy mentoring and inspiring other engineers
We recognize not everyone will meet all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Computer Science/Engineering/MBA or equivalent experience
- At least 5-8 years of experience in software development with at least 3 years of experience managing multiple software development teams
- Excellent understanding of cross functional product development
- Understanding of software engineering principles and process along with the ability to apply this knowledge to execute projects and optimize development strategies
- Strong skills in critical thinking, decision making, problem-solving, and attention to detail
- Ability to build things from scratch as well as improve existing products
- Proven success in agile development environment
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work hard, stay balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 12 holidays + Mental Health Days
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend and Cell Phone Stipend
Have some fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours and team bonding across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you’re remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self – we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- WiFi stipend, work from home equipment stipend, and co-working space subsidy
- Commuting stipend and catered breakfast, lunch and onsite barista for SF based Nerds
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.